You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-25 15:29:54

user_none

[Solved] Intentionally breaking apps?

I am a developer for the calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com) application. I am also one of the primary people who deals with PDF upport in calibre. One of the components used for PDF support is PyPdf. Included as part of calibre is a modified version of PyPdf. It has calibre specific changes that are not part of the upstream PyPdf project.

The Arch pacage for calibre is broken because our PyPdf is removed from calibre and the Arch packaged PyPdf is used instead. Using the system PyPdf breaks many parts of calibre's PDF processing. For example the command line tool pdfmanipulate will often raise an exception (it's a Python app) instead of running.

I opened a bug against the Arch package (#24010) about this issue. The bug was closed as not a bug. So, how is the Arch package intentionally breaking the application not a bug?

How am I supposed to take that kind of response? "We know were shipping calibre in a broken state. We broke it on purpose! Have fun with the bugs people open with you and the blame you get due this."

Is there an Arch policy that bundled libraries can never be included in a package even when they diverge from upstream. I got no other response so is there a conflict caused by calibre including its own version?

All I want to do is try to engage downstream distributors of calibre and help them improve their packages. As well as engage them so that as an upstream we can be more distro friendly. This is specifically in regard to Arch (There is a popular distro I've given up all hope with) as I'm a long time user (primarily on my server). I've started this thread primarily to get help with this issue and so I can learn more about interacting with the community (it's been a long time since I've been a part of this forum).

Last edited by user_none (2011-05-27 01:14:22)

#2 2011-05-25 17:32:53

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [Solved] Intentionally breaking apps?

I understand your frustration, but this isn't the proper place to be gathering feedback. I would suggest instead that you post on the arch-general mailing list. Mention the bug report. I personally don't agree with the immediate closure of it. You'll reach a wider audience, and more of the people that can actually help resolve this.

I also have to ask -- have the changes made to PyPDF been offered back upstream?

Last edited by falconindy (2011-05-25 17:33:31)

#3 2011-05-25 17:46:45

wonder
Developer
Website

just ask for reopen and state your case in the report in the same way you did here.

about your development strategy, that happens when you rely on features that are not upstream and you should work harder to push them

Last edited by wonder (2011-05-25 17:47:51)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2011-05-25 18:24:42

user_none

wonder wrote:

about your development strategy, that happens when you rely on features that are not upstream and you should work harder to push them

Very true. PDF is a mess right now. We have been moving away from PyPdf but the process is taking much longer than originaly thought. Mainly due to lack of man power but also because PDF is a terrible format for ebooks and not fun to deal with. This has been, sadly, a very low priority.

Thank you for falconindy and wonder fo your help.

#5 2011-05-26 11:35:20

giovanni
Developer

I fixed that issue in calibre-0.8.2-2 for both architectures.
Please, let me know if now it's ok, so I can close your bug report.

Arch Linux forever
AUR & Pacman Italian Translations

#6 2011-05-26 17:41:12

user_none

Looks good. Thank you for giving this a second look.

#7 2011-05-27 00:54:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Please mark the thread as solved, user_none. Also, it would be helpful if future threads were more specific in the title (for example: calibri intentionally broken? is more specific than what the current title is).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer