You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-25 23:33:13

erville

closing lid or removing AC power while going through power-off

Just a minor issue. I am just curious. I have acpid and pm-utils all working properly - they handle and recognize events such as closing the lid and removing AC power the way they are supposed to. My question is, is it okay to close the lid or remove the AC power while the system is going through power-off? Will those events trigger responses that may interrupt the power-off "sequence"? (I hate waiting for it to finish power-off, when I'm in a hurry to get to the next class. I guess i'm just a bit paranoid.)

#2 2011-05-26 01:05:22

lagagnon
Website

Re: closing lid or removing AC power while going through power-off

I have my laptop set to shutdown on lid closing. Never had a problem simply closing the lid and not worrying about it - the system will properly go through the shutdown script. As to AC power removal as long as your battery has enough juice to do the shutdown then you should be OK. I would not do it if I had < 10% battery power remaining, even though shutdown on my system takes only about 5-6 seconds.

I also try not to jiggle my laptop around too much while the hard drive is being accessed on shutdown.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-05-26 04:12:24

thayer
Fellow
Website

It's possible to have a race condition and I've experienced it first-hand numerous times. For example, if you press a keyboard shortcut to poweroff and close the lid within seconds (triggering a suspend) it can suspend the device first and then, upon powering it back up it will immediately power down.  It hasn't happened in quite a while for me (possibly because I am aware of it now), but it has happened.

Last edited by thayer (2011-05-26 04:13:01)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2011-05-26 08:52:30

erville

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just have to really wait for it to shutdown, before closing the lid and removing AC power. Or, as lagagnon suggests, set it to shutdown on lid closing. Or maybe I can jus let it sleep instead of shutdown on lid closing. Thanks again.

Board footer