You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-27 03:20:22

tropical_disease

Wireless problems at boot-up

My laptop is a HP Compaq Presario R3000, using the ndiswrapper module for bcmwl5a driver.

I connect to the internet through a NAT router.

Here's the problem(s):

Most times my wireless starts up normally and I get the correct parameters reported in iwconfig, however, almost always, the network daemon refuses to start. It eventually does start after I keep repeating # /etc/rc.d/network enough times - Once I had to do this about 15 times to eventually get network [DONE]! Obviously I'm having biiiiig problems with dhcp at the moment. check out my other thread if you know how to solve these problems.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=11861

Anyway, this is what I often get at first bootup - the network always fails to start if this happens, although the wireless daemon says [DONE].

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00   
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm   
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
          Encryption keyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:-20 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:8  Invalid misc:37982   Missed beacon:0

(Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems to have a got a bit better since I added the Access Point parameter to the wireles boot script.)

This looks like it could be a dhcpcd configuration problem, but I really have no idea. I was thinking of trying to incorporate the iwconfigi commit command into the wireless script somehow, but I'm not exactly sure what it does or if it would even make any difference. Basically I'm just hoping someone else has solved the same kind of problem.

Here's the relevant portion of rc.conf for good measure.

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
wlan0="dhcp"
#eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo wlan0 !eth0)

WIRELESS_PROFILES=(tropaneboy)

gateway="default gw 192.168.2.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng autofs !hotplug !pcmcia !netfs crond wireless 
network)

I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks!

#2 2005-04-27 15:06:59

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Wireless problems at boot-up

it's the same dhcp thing... shutting the daemon down should do a "dhcpcd -k" - but I have to look into it.. .as it doesn't work too well on my machine...

try "dhcpcd -k eth0" then network start... that *should* work the first time, as it releases the dhcp lease...

Board footer