You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-27 03:42:34

TMatherne

Problem with multimedia playback - multiple applications

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for help with this if possible.  Been looking for three days for a solution in vain.

Here's the problem:  If I open any sound or audio file with anything other than mplayer, it shows a progress of about 30X normal speed, shows no video progress (other than the occasional frame at that speed, of course) and no audio is played.  This happens in Movie Player, VLC and Rhythmbox.

For some reason, I can use mplayer either in Gnome or from the command line and there is no problems as long as I use that application.

Any ideas on what I am overlooking on why this is happening?

Again, thanks for the help.

Tommie Matherne

#2 2011-05-27 15:11:47

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Problem with multimedia playback - multiple applications

I'm not sure, but I would poke around your video driver and display settings looking for things like synchronization with VSync.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-05-27 17:20:52

jlindgren

ewaller wrote:

I'm not sure, but I would poke around your video driver and display settings looking for things like synchronization with VSync.

How would vsync have anything to do with audio files playing too fast?

#4 2011-05-28 21:36:15

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Does it work if you convert audio between different formats? Maybe it has to do with some library that all those programs are using, like libsamplerate.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#5 2011-05-28 22:14:17

ewaller
Administrator

jlindgren wrote:
ewaller wrote:

How would vsync have anything to do with audio files playing too fast?

I guess I assumed the OP was playing Video files.  OP had made reference to no video progress, occasional frames, etc...

My thought is that the system is confused as to video frame rate and is playing video at extreme frame rates.  If the audio tried to synchronize to this video, it would have to do something to keep up.

Edit:  I realized I was not responding to the original poster

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer