You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-29 17:58:51

NictraSavios
Website

[Solved] Fbsplash Screen Not working with intel drivers

*** SCROLL TO END FOR MY SOLUTION

Before I give you details, here are the relevant files.

the menu.lst entry

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda8 resume=/dev/sda7 ro logo.nologo quiet nomodeset vga=0x0318 console=tty1 splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:arch-black
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

the /etc/conf.d/splash entry (comments removed for your sake, the are still in the orginal file)

SPLASH_THEMES="
    arch-black
"

SPLASH_INIT_MESSAGE="Initializing the kernel"
SPLASH_BOOT_MESSAGE="Booting '$HOSTNAME' (\$progress%)"
SPLASH_REBOOT_MESSAGE="Rebooting '$HOSTNAME' (\$progress%)"
SPLASH_SHUTDOWN_MESSAGE="Shutting down '$HOSTNAME' (\$progress%)"
SPLASH_DAEMON="early"
case $PREVLEVEL in  N   ) SPLASH_EFFECTS="fadein" ; esac
case  $RUNLEVEL in [06] ) SPLASH_EFFECTS="fadeout"; esac

# Uncomment this line to allways use both
# SPLASH_EFFECTS="fadein,fadeout"

SPLASH_TEXTBOX="yes"
SPLASH_AUTOVERBOSE=0
SPLASH_VERBOSE_ON_ERRORS="no"
SPLASH_XSERVICE="gdm"
SPLASH_PUSH_MESSAGES="no"

output of lspic

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

System is fully updated. Infact its a fresh install, I have followed everything in the "General Reccomendations" that suited me. For the DE I use Gnome 3, but 6/10 times I will simply use Nautilus alone.

Alright. Do you need anything more? Simply tell me and I will place it up here immediatly.

The xf86-video-intel driver worked flawlessly on my previous Arch install, as it did on this one untill I started using Fbsplash.
I'm thinking It may be my vga line.

My normal resolution is 1366x768, my current is using the Vesa driver and at 1024x768. It is a Gateway MD73 laptop, with the harddrive changed to a Samsung 500GB, and 2 USB 2.0 ports removed and replaced with USB 3.0, the ROM chip has also been replaced with one from an Intel macbookpro, and the mother board is from that aswell. The partition table is GUID. Also, the keyboard has been fully replaced key by key with one from a black mac keyboard.

It is triple booted along-side a OSX86 and Windows 7.

I may be replacing the display chip soon.

Anyway, on with the issue.

In short, Xorg will not load, when i boot up, it hangs in tty7, a blank screen and a single blinking _ , no text. I can switch to another tty, and login, but after xorg will not start at all.

The Xorg.o.log, can be found here:  http://pastebin.com/4bM0Xc1x

The driver i am using now is a generic one, that dose not fit my native resolution. it i xf86-video-vesa. But my native driver is xf86-video-intel, and will not work.

Edit, here are pictures of the error messages I get when i do that. Not only dose the resolution default to the 800x600 (something like that), Xorg again fails.
These were taken while booting with the native driver
Upon boot: http://twitpic.com/549oa6
After boot: http://twitpic.com/549ocq

Edit 2

Alright, gdm loads and my native resolution loads, but the splash screan still fails. I achived this by changing the kernel entry to:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda8 resume=/dev/sda7 ro logo.nologo quiet video=1366x768 console=tty1 splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:arch-black

*** POSTING SOLUTION TONIGHT - SORRY, NOT HOME YET ( COME BACK IN 12 HOURS)

Last edited by NictraSavios (2011-05-30 12:21:47)

#2 2011-05-29 18:08:02

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] Fbsplash Screen Not working with intel drivers

What exactly is the problem - that you don't get the native resolution? Intel drivers uses KMS so you can't use 'vga=<somenumber>'. What happens if you remove that part?

#3 2011-05-29 18:11:49

NictraSavios
Website

Sorry, updated it, and i'll try that now.

Edit, here are pictures of the error messages I get when i do that. Not only dose the resolution default to the 800x600 (something like that), Xorg again fails. I am currently booted into OSX

I am using the native driver again. this driver worked without fail before. xf86-video-intel

Upon boot: http://twitpic.com/549oa6
After boot: http://twitpic.com/549ocq

Last edited by NictraSavios (2011-05-29 18:25:05)

#4 2011-05-29 21:36:17

NictraSavios
Website

Alright, gdm loads and my native resolution loads, but the splash screan still fails. I achived this by changing the kernel entry to:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda8 resume=/dev/sda7 ro logo.nologo quiet video=1366x768 console=tty1 splash=silent,fadein,fadeout,theme:arch-black

#5 2011-05-30 01:47:46

NictraSavios
Website

bump.

#6 2011-05-30 09:30:40

karol
Archivist

You can't use neither 'nomodeset' nor 'vga=<something>' with the Intel drivers. IIRC 'video=<something>' is OK but you shouldn't need it - the driver should load the correct resolution all by itself.

I;ll have a look at it as I had it working some time ago but you have to wait a couple hours.

#7 2011-05-30 12:20:24

NictraSavios
Website

I fixed it. I have no idea how, But I will post My relevant Information tonight

#8 2011-06-02 07:24:26

Padfoot

You do not need a "video=" entry in grub's menu.lst. It all comes down to fbsplash attempting to start before KMS has kicked in and set your native resolution.

Solution:

Add "i915" to the modules section of mkinitcpio.conf then:

# mkinitcpio -p kernel26

Now your video driver will be loaded at kernel bootstrap, meaning the entire boot sequence will be in native resolution and fbsplash should fail no more!

Cheers.

Last edited by Padfoot (2011-06-02 07:25:27)

Board footer