You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-30 19:37:20

7rozen_7ear_

Critical temperature reached

Hey everybody,

I'm 7rozen_7ear_ and I'm new to the Arch Linux distro and community, but I love both!

First of all, I'm rather experienced with installing Arch, not only by playing around with Virtual Box.
I kind of managed to run the whole installation proces (with exception of the GRUB), but everytime Linux tells me it has to shut down due to the critical temperature (100°C).
(I tried to lay ice packs under my laptop, that's why I got that far ;') )
Well, I measured my temp in Windows 7 x64 with SpeedFan. I'm kind of sure that my system never gets 100°C

Other linux distros I ran: Ubuntu and Linux Mint (8-9-10)

Why I don't give up on Arch?

Community, AUR, Rolling Release, Freedom.

Cpu temperatures:

Idle: 80-83°C
Stress: 93-94°C

(Speedfan says fan 1, fan 2 and fan 3 don't run. Still I feel a fan blowing, maybe that's the CPU fan. -> This behavior can be the cause of the high temperatures.)

I use a laptop cooler to keep it 'cool'.

General Stuff:

I know those temperatures are high, but I use a Packerd Bell Easynote ML-61 (PBs, HPs and Acers have a bad cooling, haven't they?).

The manufacturer had to replace it's mobo, so I have an AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74 instead of the standard AMD Athlon X2.

Any other info you need to help me solve this problem? Just ask ;')

I'm sorry if this topic doesn't belong here, I thought it's the most suitable subforum here.

Thanks for helping.

#2 2011-05-30 20:15:39

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Critical temperature reached

There exists the possibility that this is an instrumentation problem.  If the CPU is at 100C, the case temperature should be unreasonable as should the airflow temperature.

If the file exists, what does the output of

cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp 

say?? Is it always 100 000 or does in increase over time?  In particular, what is the temperature right after a cold boot?

If your hard drive has S.M.A.R.T tools, you can cross  check by checking the drive temperature.  There should be some correlation between the CPU and Drive temps (Although the CPU can have spikes due to a much wider dynamic load and a much smaller thermal mass)

If the temperatures seem to be real, use a tool like htop to look for run away processes.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-05-31 02:41:32

anonymous_user

You might also want to look at setting up cpufrequtils:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cpufreq

Perhaps your CPU is running at full speed thus causing the high temps.

#4 2011-06-01 13:23:58

7rozen_7ear_

Thx for the help so far, peeps ^^ @Ano, I know my CPU runs at full speed (it seems to run as when I game). I'll try your advice.
@Ewaller, thx for your help too. I'll give you the output asap, when I try the installer again (wich might be today).

EDIT:
After cooling my laptop down (I read the "How to ask questions" guide and several reviews of LibreOffice vs OpenOffice (LibreOffice wins))
Here's the output of the command Ewallar gave me;

Following Ano's guide will be in my next edit.

P.S. I couldn't start more early, I had to fix some problems with my Windows (garbage) PC.

EDIT2:

Ano, I'm sorry but my pc couldn't find your utility. A typical

# pacman  -Syu 

didn't work. I'll continue to search a bit more, these are just temporary results.

My laptop crashed while writing this. It just hangs and it won't respond to any of my commands. The CPU runs continuous at full speed when crashed. I have to reboot my system
Activity: I just typed the -Syu code.

Last edited by 7rozen_7ear_ (2011-06-01 19:02:02)

#5 2011-06-02 02:24:05

anonymous_user

Change your mirrors to more up-to-date ones:

http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

And then upgrade. "cpufrequtils" is in the repos.

#6 2011-06-02 03:41:35

ewaller
Administrator

7rozen_7ear_ wrote:

Here's the output of the command Ewallar gave me;

That would be 53.0C.  Pretty reasonable really (This machine is a HP DV4 running at 54C in a 73F [23C] environment)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2011-06-05 02:59:14

manzdagratiano

I do not seem to gauge the exact issue here, but do you have an nvidia card? I have had a spurious high-temperature issue with the "powermizer" bug with nvidia drivers, where powermizer was reporting very high temperatures, causing the system to freeze. I fixed it in the following manner:

Create the following file:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

and place in it:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NVIDIA GeForce"
        Driver  "nvidia"
        VendorName      "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Option  "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefault=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
        Option  "NoLogo"        "1"
EndSection

Be formless, shapeless... like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup; you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; if you put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot... Now water can flow, or it can crash... Be water my friend

Board footer