You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-30 20:32:09

wolfdogg

[solved] trying to mount a network drive

right now i am using an IDE called PHPEd by NuSphere on my Arch Box. So far the only way i can figure out how to run it is through WINE. Im trying to access the webdocs from across the LAN. I have been able to add my web directory using the browse option, but i cant completely browse all the way to the file, i cant open my other pc by its netbios name, inside the workgroup. when browsing.  Im getting here 'mnt/smbnet/WEBDEV/falcon' and it will go no further. so i manually paste the location in there 'mnt/smbnet/WEBDEV/falcon/user_drive/user_files/username/webdocs/htdocs/' which is an absurdely long filename, and it works, but when the program opens it starts to scan the directory for changes, and at the rate its scanning, it looks like it wont complete for hours.  infact, i left it for more than an hour, and it timed out, then i left it overnight, and it worked. but everytime i open the program, it needs to scan the files.

So i want to mount the windows network drive to see if that is the problem, i followed a few wikis, namely samba.  i want the remote /htdocs folder to show up as a local drive.

i do have  kdefilesharing-package.  how do i mount the smb://falcon/user_drive/user_files/username/webdocs/ to a drive letter using samba preferably? Should i look into NFS, or can samba do this?  is there something that is known to be faster?  because network speed is of a concern right now from what it looks like.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-02 04:52:20)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2011-05-30 20:36:50

Barrucadu
Website

Re: [solved] trying to mount a network drive

#3 2011-05-30 22:43:15

wolfdogg

ok, i tried to mount samba per this link http://cri.ch/linux/docs/sk0001.html and im getting the error

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //Falcon/myusername/Webdocs,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so

then i tried
smbmount "//FALCON/user\ drive/user\ files/myusername/webdocs" -U myusername -c 'mount /mnt/falcon_webdocs -u 500 -g 100'

that didnt work

then i tried
mount -t cifs "//FALCON/user\ drive/user\ files/myusername/webdocs" -U myusername -c 'mount /mnt/falcon_webdocs -u 500 -g 100'

i see smbmount has been deprecated, this is WAY too confusing, since it appears there is hudnreds of ways to do this.  SMBK4, NFS, cifs, mount, smbmount..... thats why i asked a tailored question.  i dont personally like samba, never did, but if its my fastest option, then ill use it.

can somebody point me in the right direction?  as i mentioned, i would like a fast network speed option, since the app i need it for is SLOW.  the files i need to access are NTFS. 

i obviously dont know what im doing, so referring me to google doesnt help.  of course i spent plenty of time on google before the reference.

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-05-30 23:15:55)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#4 2011-05-30 23:26:17

wolfdogg

ok, i solved it usign my own devices.  lol. 

i went to network,
add network folder
microsoft windows network drive
put in the server and directory info
the new directory was created in network
then i went to shell
ln -s /mnt/smbnet/WEBDEV/FALCON/User\ Drive/User\ Files/Myusername/Webdocs/ /mnt
now i have it directly inside my /mnt folder.  sweet. 

what kind of rules did i break by doing this?

now, how would i map or mount it as a drive letter if i wanted to?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-05-30 23:27:32)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer