You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-31 07:27:21

Declan

Awful crashes with gnome 3

Hi everyone! I recently updated to gnome 3 and I'm having lots of trouble. Foremost, it keeps crashing, very badly. The mouse will start moving slowly and stuff will stop responding. It gets so bad I can't even ctrl-alt-Fx to get to a TTY, it'll just be completely frozen. I've never had this happen before I updated to gnome 3. What can I do?

It also just seems to have a ton of weird bugs. Here is a screenshot of what was happening when did that thing that shows all the windows:

Ugwvks.jpg

As you can see, weird stuff in the background.

Another time, I think I managed to get to a TTY before it completely froze. It gave some pretty nasty looking output, a segfault. I took these pictures, but I apologize for the quality; I had to quickly take them with my phone because I couldn't take a screenshot (for future reference, is there a way to take a screenshot if you're not in X?).

3lUe1s.jpg
32hcRs.jpg

My video card is VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84M [Quadro NVS 140M] (rev a1). I'm using the nvidia driver, version 270.41.19-1. My gnome-shell is version 3.0.2-1.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Edit: More pictures. This time, it crashed and would only show me a black screen. However, it also displayed my mouse and would let me move it around at full speed. I then restarted gdm with /etc/rc.d/gdm restart from a tty, and it kind of fixed it... it showed the login screen I normally see, but it was so pixelated I could barely recognize it. Here are some pictures from when I logged in:

qXTpxs.jpg
ILPVAs.jpg

Last edited by Declan (2011-05-31 16:55:22)

#2 2011-05-31 19:09:58

Declan

Re: Awful crashes with gnome 3

I switched to nouveau and it's working alright so far, but we'll see.

#3 2011-06-01 16:32:10

BastardLawyerFromHell

Re: Awful crashes with gnome 3

Dude, I have exactly the same problem! Got any fixes but switching to nouveau?

Board footer