You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-31 15:31:57

Grimn

Filesystem check failed + accidental /boot deletion

Yesterday I rebooted my PC and suddenly Arch started complaining about "Filesystem check failed", just like stated by the OP in this thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 00#p941200
The problem was with two partitions: /boot and /home. I tried to no avail to manually fsck them using the maintenance console and e2fsck as well as the forcefsck command but it didn't work.
I didn't try any LiveCD back then but since I saw that in that thread the OP solved his problem by deleting some folders located at /media:

Fixed the problem.

The /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda5 were being mounted in the wrong place.
Instead of being mounted in /home and /boot as per /etc/fstab, they were being mounted in new directories in /media called /media/usbhd-sda2 and /media/usbhd-sda5. Upon deleting those folders, everything has gone back to normal.
I have no idea how those new folders got created...but problem solved now.

Thanks for the help, guys
Samsom

Problem is I didn't think at all when I read this post and went right away to delete the problematic folders (the post itself didn't exactly explain how the OP managed to unmount the partitions and then proceed to delete the folders, my umount commands didn't work so it wasn't crystal clear to me how he managed it, my bad tho for not checking what I was deleting).
Luckily, I think I only managed to delete partially my /boot folder (thus GRUB now complains and doesn't boot any system). So now my question is, is there a way to restore my /boot folder without a full system re-install?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2011-05-31 15:40:37

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Filesystem check failed + accidental /boot deletion

Here are the general steps I would use:

You will want to boot from a live CD and chroot into your system.
Verify that the boot partition is mounted at /boot
Install grub again.
Install the Kernel again (not really necessary, but it is the path of least resistance)
Rebuild your /boot/grub/menu.lst  as required

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-05-31 16:45:20

Grimn

Thanks for the help!

I followed your instructions (except the kernel part, is that the mctinitio commnad to build a kernel image?)and installed re-installed grub however when I boot it enters grub automatically instead of showing up the boot menu.

Also I had to copy /usr/lib/grub/<something I don't recall/* to /boot/grub in order to setup the correct harddrive (I have two Arch instalations but grub find commnad only found the stage1 on the system I don't want to boot).

#4 2011-05-31 17:11:43

falconindy
Developer
Website

kernel26.img is not the kernel, vmlinuz26 is. Reinstalling the kernel package takes care of vmlinuz26 as well as re-generation of kernel26.img (and the fallback).

#5 2011-05-31 17:36:10

Grimn

But what is the command?  mkinitcpio -p kernel26 ? Also how do I fix this grub issue? I'm assuming grub created a default menu.lst after I copied the config files and setup the hd0 but I actually don't recall checking that.

Just re-did all steps including rebuilding the kernel, I still can't get the boot menu when I reboot. It goes directly to grub console.
I checked the generated menu.lst, it lists my root as the device where /boot partition is and the kernel line root enrty is defined for the arch system I want to boot :\

Last edited by Grimn (2011-05-31 17:50:02)

#6 2011-06-01 18:04:17

Grimn

edit: sorry, just read the forum etiquete rules.

Last edited by Grimn (2011-06-01 18:50:56)

#7 2011-06-04 16:53:51

Grimn

Anyone? I've been googling this and nothing comes up, all I can find is about GRUB errors but what I'm getting is a GRUB console :\
Should I give up and do a full system instalation?

#8 2011-06-05 09:44:23

rwd

maybe you didn't actually install in the boot folder, maybe you used wrong uuids, who knows. Hard to help with no logs/contents of config files/directory contents.

Board footer