You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-31 18:56:32

DSpider

How about some color, clyde style ?

URBjt.png

Notice the difference ?

I know Arch is all about KISS, but some color would really "KIETR" (keep it easy to read). tongue The boot process has it. So why not pacman ?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2011-05-31 19:13:13

stressat
Website

Re: How about some color, clyde style ?

Something like that???
http://i.imgur.com/PnmsI.png

Pacman-color. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=pacman-color
Add in your .bashrc:  alias pacman='pacman-color' after installing pacman-color...

Last edited by stressat (2011-05-31 19:17:47)

#3 2011-05-31 19:17:34

DSpider

Well, yes, but not from the AUR... I was thinking more like a setting or something from pacman.conf.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2011-05-31 19:19:35

falconindy
Developer
Website

This was discussed recently. It'd be great to have, but there's some issues that need to be resolved by Vogo or someone else before we can merge it into pacman master.

#5 2011-05-31 19:35:31

DSpider

Hehe, I wouldn't call January recently. smile However, e setting would be nice. A single line in pacman.conf that would let you choose a custom color scheme would be nice. Commented out by default, if you will.

#6 2011-05-31 20:43:50

brisbin33
Website

DSpider wrote:

A single line in pacman.conf that would let you choose a custom color scheme would be nice.

A typical end-user... you offer a color/no-color patch as a possibility and they immediately jump to "choose a custom color scheme!"... ;P

Anyway, I'd be all about a flag to enable pacman-color behavior in normal pacman -- just because I'll no longer have to do the update dance for the day or two that the -color version lags behind...

#7 2011-05-31 21:21:34

falconindy
Developer
Website

DSpider wrote:

Hehe, I wouldn't call January recently.  However, e setting would be nice. A single line in pacman.conf that would let you choose a custom color scheme would be nice. Commented out by default, if you will.

I won't call the development pace of pacman glacial, but there's not many of us and we have other priorities. a boolean setting might be a single line in pacman.conf, but it'll take several lines of code just to parse that, and probably at least 200 lines of code on top of Vogo's patch to make it optional. If you want a custom color scheme, you're talking about more parsing and validation. Feel free to jump into the code in your free time if you want to be proactive about this.

Board footer