You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-01 10:30:04

AoshiRebirth

[Guide] Rift on Arch

Now first off, I only take credit for putting this all together. Most of the information I found elsewhere and wanted to compile it together for others. The guide is straight forward.

#Linux versions
Wine Version: Wine-1.3.21 (No modifications)
Kernel: 2.6.38-ARCH
Architecture: x86_64
Nvidia Driver: 270.41.19

#System specs
Laptop: Asus G72GX
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
Memory: 6GB DDR2 @ 667 MHz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M

#Rift Installation(Web):
Step #1: Install Wine(If you are x64, grab it from the multilib)
Step #2: Install Winetricks
Step #3: Get d3dx9 and vcrun2008 with Winetricks
Step #4. Open up winecfg and Go to libraries, Change d3dx9 to native
Step #5: Download the game from Trions site and install it.

# Issues Occured
Character selection screen is mostly black. You can still select character and log in, it just doesn't look pretty
FPS May be unstable, follow tweaks for better stability (Possibly less performance)
FPS Regardless will drop compared to Windows

#Registry Tweaks
#1. Open up Regedit in Wine
#2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Wine
#3. Create key called Direct3D
#4. Add the following as Strings

Name: DirectDrawRenderer
Data: opengl
Notes: This seems to take care of the Unstable FPS that was causing it to seem like it was buffering every other second, also gives a bit more color to the equipment your character is wearing on the character selection screen.

Name: UseGLSL
Data: enabled
Notes: This seems to increase FPS a bit, but removes any changes to the character selection screen that DirectDrawRenderer makes

There are other tweaks, but they didn't seem to have any real effect on the game. I'm still looking into changes and fixes, so if any has anything to offer, let me know. I just figured I'd put up a guide cause I know there is quite a few people looking for a guide to play this on Linux. If you have any questions let me know.

- Aoshi

#2 2011-06-01 10:48:00

karol
Archivist

Re: [Guide] Rift on Arch

Why don't you put it in the wiki? We have a category just for that https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … _(English)

#3 2011-06-01 10:58:28

AoshiRebirth

#1. I'm extremely bad with modifying a Wiki page.
#2. I don't have the time to organize and set one up. I did this in my free time while waiting for a compile.

#4 2011-06-02 01:30:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

AoshiRebirth wrote:

#1. I'm extremely bad with modifying a Wiki page.
#2. I don't have the time to organize and set one up. I did this in my free time while waiting for a compile.

Well, forum posts fade into obscurity while wiki pages are always there...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer