You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-02 11:17:08

ale_xiovk
Website

Yaourt-Gui 0.7 A bash GUI for yaourt

Yaourt-GUI is designed for new users who want to start using Arch Written in bash, it offers a gui from terminal to the common tasks of yaourt and pacman.

yaourtgui07.png

Supported languages: IT - EN -

Download v.0.7:  http://www.vklinux.net/project/yaourtgu … 0.7.tar.gz
AUR:

yaourt -S yaourt-gui

Home page: http://vklinux.net/index.php/project-vk/yaourt-gui-07

Last edited by ale_xiovk (2011-07-31 17:12:07)

#2 2011-06-02 23:04:27

kofrad

Re: Yaourt-Gui 0.7 A bash GUI for yaourt

This looks pretty cool. I personally may not find it useful nowadays, but back when I first got started with arch I definitely could have used it. I still would probably get some use out of this for commands not frequently used. I'm going to go ahead and download this and try it out here and there.

To be honest, I feel a lot of users will find passing arguments directly to be quicker. This sounds like a great way to get more casual users involved in using the command line and updating the system though. Either way it looks nice, thank you for helping to give back to the community! smile

Desktop: Arch Linux | AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ | 3GB RAM | GeForce 6800 XT 512MB | 1TB+
Audio Studio: XP SP3 | Intel Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott | 1GB DDR | GeForce 6800 128MB | 120GB

#3 2011-06-03 01:27:52

sand_man

pacman, double wrapped for your sanitation wink

neutral

#4 2011-06-03 08:43:54

tlm

Posted this on AUR, but they told me to go here so.
A few suggestions: Add options to edit /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/yaourtrc, as well as plainly add repositories. That can't be hard, first two should just be "sudo nano FILE" or something similar, second one should be...
cat <<EOF >> /etc/pacman.conf
[$reponame]
Server = $repoaddr
EOF
(where $reponame and $repoaddr are retreived from the user). Also, an option to check who a file belongs to (yaourt -Qo $file) would be nice.

#5 2011-06-03 14:10:53

ale_xiovk
Website

tlm wrote:

A few suggestions: Add options to edit /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/yaourtrc, as well as plainly add repositories. That can't be hard, first two should just be "sudo nano FILE" or something similar, second one should be...
[$reponame]
Server = $repoaddr
EOF
(where $reponame and $repoaddr are retreived from the user). Also, an option to check who a file belongs to (yaourt -Qo $file) would be nice.

changes will be included in ver 0.6! thanks for your contribution!

#6 2011-06-03 18:49:09

tlm

ale_xiovk wrote:
tlm wrote:

[$reponame]
Server = $repoaddr
EOF

Thanks. Please make sure to update the AUR package as well smile

#7 2011-06-03 20:37:02

ale_xiovk
Website

tlm wrote:
ale_xiovk wrote:
tlm wrote:

[$reponame]
Server = $repoaddr
EOF

Thanks. Please make sure to update the AUR package as well smile

UPGRADE 0.5 ==> 0.6: 03-06-2011

- Add options to edit /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/yaourtrc
- add Belongs To Files

I'm looking for some user who can help me do the translation in French and German!

Last edited by ale_xiovk (2011-06-03 20:58:31)

#8 2011-06-03 21:26:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

I would have no use for this, as I have no use for yaourt, but I'm sure it will be appreciated by those who do.

I would, however, strongly disagree with your claim that this is "designed for new users". New Arch users are the people who should NOT use AUR helpers - they should use makepkg and pacman until they become thoroughly familiar with the processes used during package creation. Only at that stage, when they are no longer "new users", should they consider using yaourt or other similar utilities.

#9 2011-06-04 10:07:45

ale_xiovk
Website

@Tomk
I agree but this project is designed to familiarize you with the control yaourt and pacman. In fact, the print command to each transaction that is performing so he can get used to the user. I state that is a project created for personal use when I started using Arch to be able to learn commands and hope it will be useful to other users.

was created primarily for educational activities and fun. thanks for your contributions.

Last edited by ale_xiovk (2011-06-04 10:12:46)

#10 2011-06-06 12:53:15

ale_xiovk
Website

Hello everyone! I wanted to know if anyone is interested in doing the translation in French or other languages! thank you very much

Board footer