You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-03 16:37:12

cypherinside

Ergonomic mouse & keyboard

Hi, I need an ergonomic mouse and keyboard for the carpal tunnel syndrome. Searching on google i found the best thing is a trackball mouse and an ergonomic keyboard.
About the trackball I want to buy Logitech Wireless Trackball. About the keyboard I found the Logitech Wireless Wave keyboard.
But I have only 2 usb ports: 1 for the printer and 1 for the wireless... Can i connect mouse and keyboard to the same wireless receiver? (Excuse me but I've never had wireless hardware, so I'm very newbie about this).
However I don't know if this keybord works well on linux.... do you know something about this? do you know an ergonomic keyboard that is guaranteed to work?

To be or not to be? ...Not to be! (Last Action Hero)

#2 2011-06-03 17:06:04

lagagnon
Website

Re: Ergonomic mouse & keyboard

The KB and mouse connect to the same receiver so you need only one USB port. Both will work under Linux but to get the special multimedia keys to work you might have to set them up properly depending on the desktop environment you use.

As to ergonomics, my wife had some problems, and what is more important than the equipment you use is your sitting position, your posture, your chair height. Also consider buying a soft wrist pad to place in front of the KB. The actual KB and mouse are less relevant.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-06-03 17:52:20

jac
Website

I have both of these products; I am using them right now. I like them a lot, but I haven't really explored much in the ergonomic world. They are comfortable enough for my usage, anyway.

Something about using the same receiver for both, it is very possible. When I got mine (a few months ago) the only way to set this up was through the Logitech software on Windows. Once both were paired to the same receiver, it works fine in GNU/Linux too.

I honestly haven't tried all the media keys, but the ones I did try worked OOTB in KDE.

#4 2011-06-03 20:14:15

cypherinside

the only way to set this up was through the Logitech software on Windows.

It isn't a problem. Just tomorrow I virtualized windows xp on the ubuntu laptop of my sis wink (about the multimedia keys... I don't care so much).
A last question: my old motherbord have the usb1 (yes... you got it right: usb1). This can be a problem?

To be or not to be? ...Not to be! (Last Action Hero)

#5 2011-06-05 18:05:28

stqn
Website

I think USB 1 is fine for mice and keyboards, though I have USB 2 here.

I have a very similar trackball (the same shape without the extra buttons, and wired.) It takes a while to get used to but it's a good one. My middle finger used to hurt from the mouse and it helped in that regard.

Instead of buying wireless input devices maybe you would like to consider a USB hub and wired peripherals. (No connection problems, no need for batteries.)

As for the keyboard, they say the Typematrix is great to relieve pain... On their web site at least smile. I have only tried it briefly though so I can't comment.

Board footer