You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-03 21:12:31

wolfdogg

[SOLVED] pacman error: database not found (during an install)

i am trying to install an app

when installing
# pacman -S /path/to/dir/app.tar.gz
error: database not found

when i look inside the tar, theres only one file, app.bin

im sure its some fundamental that im missing.  so i have to makepkg first , or am i missing a command during the intallation, or is the file broken?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-04 05:50:09)

Node.js, PHP Software Architect and Engineer (Full-Stack/DevOps)
GitHub  | LinkedIn

#2 2011-06-03 21:32:10

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED] pacman error: database not found (during an install)

Totally wron way to use pacman. I would suggest rereading the man page.

And if you are trying to build something from aur or similar, then please read the aur page on the wiki.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-06-03 22:03:06

karol
Archivist

wolfdogg wrote:

im sure its some fundamental that im missing.  so i have to makepkg first

Most likely, yes - makepkg first to create a pacakge that pacman can install.
Check if the app isn't available from the repos or AUR. If it's not, write a PKGBUILD for it and use makepkg to build and install it.

#4 2011-06-03 22:06:34

wolfdogg

that explains the problem (wrong way to use it, lol)

no, its Zend Studio, its basically a linux version download.  sorry i didnt mention that earlier.  i was assuming that when you download a professional linux app, its already made into a package.  i was comparing it to a package that is already made.  dont you just pacman -S a package that is already made?  or does one have to to a makepkg for most all linux system outside application downloads?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-03 22:08:10)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#5 2011-06-03 22:10:55

karol
Archivist

There are many packaging formats in the Linux world: .deb, .rpm etc. You can't just pick a package from another vendor (i.e. not from Arch repos) and install it on Arch.

#6 2011-06-03 22:32:45

wolfdogg

ok that makes sense.  what method do i take, or what manual do i read?  will the pacman manual tell me what to do with a tarball of a .bin?  im guessing i need to make a pacakge, and as you mentioned above. is that what makepkg does, customize general linux binaries for arch compatibility?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-03 22:36:36)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#7 2011-06-03 22:41:01

karol
Archivist

wolfdogg wrote:

ok that makes sense.  what method do i take, or what manual do i read?  will the pacman manual tell me what to do with a tarball of a .bin?  im guessing i need to make a pacakge, and as you mentioned above. is that what makepkg does, customize general linux binaries for arch compatibility?

In most cases you work with many source files that produce many binaries, libraries, man pages etc - that's why it's nice to have pacman to handle it all. In this case you can unpack it, make the binary executable and run it

chmod +x app.bin
./app.bin

and see what happens.

#8 2011-06-03 23:15:54

wolfdogg

its working.  what does the ./ do, just tell the shell to execute the program relative to current dir?

im wondering if this is something i should install as user, and into my user directory, or if i should isntall it as root, in /usr/share in the event i brick my user. im feeling that i should adhere to security and install in my user dir, in /applications or /programs for example.  can you suggest a dir name for installs in the user dir?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-03 23:18:06)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#9 2011-06-03 23:24:22

karol
Archivist

You should run all apps as a user whenever possible.
If you want to run an app, you need to put in in your $PATH or provide a path to it. If the app is in the current dir, the path is './'. If you want to be able to run it from any directory (like you do with other apps), put it in a directory that is in your $PATH (like /usr/local/bin)

[karol@black ~]$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/bin/core_perl

If you want to keep it in another directory, you need to add that directory to the $PATH.

Last edited by karol (2011-06-03 23:26:03)

#10 2011-06-03 23:51:59

wolfdogg

regarding when you say "keep it in another directory" your saying that if i want to install it in another directory, i need to add that directory to my $PATH or the installation will not even start? or will it fail after installtion, or what would i expect in this case?

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-04 00:01:54)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#11 2011-06-04 00:09:13

karol
Archivist

'/path/to/file/app.bin' is fine but a bit hard to type (unless you alias it ;P)
If you already are in /path/to/file then all you need to type is './app.bin'. '/path/to/file/app.bin' will work too. 'app.bin' (w/o './') won't work if the app is not in $PATH.

wolfdogg wrote:

regarding when you say "keep it in another directory" your saying that if i want to install it in another directory, i need to add that directory to my $PATH

I'm talking about running the app.

#12 2011-06-04 00:13:04

wolfdogg

ok, i see then.  makes sense, and i would have needed to learn it somewhere.  I appreciate it!
this program has its own installer, it pops up when i run it. so here it goes.  i want to get back to web application development.  its been a couple weeks down time as i journey into a new linux distro.  fun! :-)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

#13 2011-06-04 01:39:30

wolfdogg

well, im geting some errors with the program, im wondering if i need to make a package?  i think i will try that next.

heres the beginning of the log, Java errors mainly

-----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.5.0_11
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.ds
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Import-Package: org.eclipse.equinox.internal.util.event; version="1.0.0"
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getResolverError(AbstractBundle.java:1313)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.getResolutionFailureException(AbstractBundle.java:1297)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:309)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractBundle.java:370)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framework.java:1068)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:557)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.incFWSL(StartLevelManager.java:464)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLevel(StartLevelManager.java:248)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.dispatchEvent(StartLevelManager.java:445)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:227)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:337)

---------------------------------------------

ok, i downloaded a different binary of this program, and it installed successfully.  thanks for the help

Last edited by wolfdogg (2011-06-04 05:49:37)

GitHub  | LinkedIn

Board footer