You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-05 23:18:45

webmasteryoda
Website

No multiple audio when playing mp3 and flashvideo together [SOLVED]

I found many topics related to this issue. But I didnt find an answer.

I am using Pulseaudio, as it camed with Gnome 3. The problem is when I play some mp3 music through my audio player, there is no sound from a browser flash video (youtube). And vice versa. It just depends which sound output came first.

As I already said, I read wiki and most of the board topics, but still no answer.

Any help?

Last edited by webmasteryoda (2011-06-08 00:28:35)

#2 2011-06-05 23:44:20

Maki
Website

Re: No multiple audio when playing mp3 and flashvideo together [SOLVED]

which audio player are you using?

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#3 2011-06-05 23:59:07

webmasteryoda
Website

Its not related to audio player. I tried various players. I use DeadBeef, but I tried Rhytmbox and problem is the same. Its the same even if I play a movie through VLC or SMPlayer. It just dont work.

thx for your answer Maki
Pozdrav

#4 2011-06-06 21:10:10

webmasteryoda
Website

I dont know what to do.

I read about Arch Linux moving to PulseAudio, but it doesnt work on my laptop.

If I move to OSS, what will happend? What about my Gnome3 and what about Gstreamer, etc...

#5 2011-06-07 09:02:26

karol
Archivist

Maybe it's the udev upgrade: OSS emulation modules are not loaded by default, add them to rc.conf if needed.

#6 2011-06-07 09:36:38

webmasteryoda
Website

Thx Karol, but I have already moved to OSS.

But...

As I have Gnome 3 and as it depends of Alsa, now half of my programs sound work... So, I tried to rollback to Alsa, but now my system doesnt recognize my sound card. When I try alsaconf, there is no audio device.... smile

So, I m stuck with a half working OSS. I could leave it on my system, but some of my programs just dont have sounds.

What now?

smile)))

Last edited by webmasteryoda (2011-06-07 12:10:17)

#7 2011-06-07 15:19:30

ewaller
Administrator

You did not state you had looked at The Wiki Article

From your description, your audio is not configured to use pulseaudio and, rather, are capturing the sound card itself; blocking access from other programs.
Pulseudio should "own" the sound card, and audio sources should connect to pulse audio rather than to the hardware.  Gstreamer, Phonon and Xine can be set up so that the various environments route to pulseaudio.  Some software like mplayer, VLC, mpd, wine, VirtualBox, etc..., can be configured to route to pulseaudio directly as well.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2011-06-07 18:12:57

webmasteryoda
Website

Ok.

Now, I am mega confused. Call me a noob. I am probably a noob, but I just dont understand... smile

What is PulseAudio?
What is OSS?
What is Alsa?

I have Gnome 3 and OpenBox. I am using GDM login manager.

Atm, I have installed PulseAudio, OSS and Alsa. In rc.conf I have both daemons (oss, alsa) working.

On boot sequence I see errors. Alsa says no device (alsaconf doesnt detect any audio device). Oss is working and I have sound when I login to OpenBox. But not all the programs are working. Just those I setup to use OSS. Programs that doesnt have audio settings have NO sounds.

So, what do I have to do to make it work in OpenBox and Gnome 3?

PS - It was working but stopped after I installed OSS. I suppose that OSS install script messed something on my system. All because I wanted all programs to play sounds together. And now, its a messed up system.

Sry for my English
and thx inadvance

#9 2011-06-07 18:13:37

webmasteryoda
Website

and yes I read all wiki articles, but I still dont understand... big_smile

#10 2011-06-07 18:40:20

Xabre

Having multiple sound systems on same machine is a recepie for a sound problem.

Which sound card do you have? there must be a way to be at least recognised by ALSA.

New Gnome3 uses Pulseaudio by default. AFAIK there is no way to make it use OSS, at least not yet.

Solution to your problem is therefor simple: switch to PA, and use libflashsupport-pulse from AUR, which enables flashplugin to use pulseaudio.

#11 2011-06-07 19:41:05

webmasteryoda
Website

Xabre wrote:

Having multiple sound systems on same machine is a recepie for a sound problem.

Which sound card do you have? there must be a way to be at least recognised by ALSA.

New Gnome3 uses Pulseaudio by default. AFAIK there is no way to make it use OSS, at least not yet.

Solution to your problem is therefor simple: switch to PA, and use libflashsupport-pulse from AUR, which enables flashplugin to use pulseaudio.

Hvala Githz
Thanx Xabre

Well, I think thats not a solution, because I have audio problems with all programs using Alsa. Like sound notifications when listening to mp3 or when I am listening to online radio and trying to play some movies, etc, and vice versa.

I knew that it could cause some problems to let oss and alsa daemons exist in the same rc.conf line, but problems appeared much earlier.

My audio card was working just before I installed OSS. So, what do you suggest:

pacman -R oss alsa  ?

You didnt answer to my questions about oss, alsa and pa... Do I have to install only one of these three? Or I have to install pa+alsa or pa+oss?

#12 2011-06-07 20:19:10

vyktor

Installing multilib/lib32-alsa-lib 1.0.24.1-1 solved this problem for me.

#13 2011-06-07 21:38:02

ewaller
Administrator

webmasteryoda wrote:

Ok.

Now, I am mega confused. Call me a noob. I am probably a noob, but I just dont understand... smile

What is PulseAudio?
What is OSS?
What is Alsa?

OSS and Alsa are similar in their function.  They provide an interface for programs to send sound to the audio hardware.
Pulseaudio is an audio server that allows inputs from multiple sources, adjust their levels digitally, mix them, and send them to an output someplace.  Most of the time, that output is the audio hardware.  Sometimes it is a file, a stream, or a null device.

Only one thing can own the audio hardware at a time.  If OSS captures the hardware, Alsa is out of luck. If Alsa captures the hardware, OSS is out of luck.

If Pulseaudio is configured to capture the hardware, it can manage multiple sources and combine them into one stream.  Pulseaudio can be set up so that programs can use an Alsa interface to send audio, not knowing they are not talking to actual hardware directly.  Same for programs that need OSS. 

Some programs are aware of Pulseaudio and can use a native interface, rather than having to go through the Alsa or OSS emulators.

What pulseaudio will let you do is to turn the volume for, say, mplayer all the way up, while muting output from the windows manager notification daemon.

There are other audio servers besides Pulseaudio, such as Jack.

One way to configure your system is to:
Set up PulseAudio.
Set up Alsa front ends for Pulseaudio (see the Pulseaudio wiki)
Optionally, set up OSS front ends for Pulseaudio
Load some Pulsaudio GUI tools (like Pavucontrol) to make it easier to control PA.

Others will disagree with me and suggest a pure Alsa system without PA and using Alsamixer.  It is a perfectly valid position as well -- except that Gnome 3 has PA as a dependency complicating things.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#14 2011-06-08 00:26:25

webmasteryoda
Website

ewaller, thanks for your patience and excelent explanation. Now I understand.

From your reply I realized what was the problem and removed OSS with pacman. It was just one package. I guess it was a meta. I removed oss and rebooted system and no more errors in daemons log. So, next thing to do is to setup PulseAudio properly, and setup all applications to use PulseAudio, NOT Alsa.

And now its everything great. Without any errors. All applications are working at the same time and I can hear different sound sources, all in one audio stream.

And once again, sry for my noobish question, but I really read all of the wiki articles, and just didnt get the whole picture. Thanks to your post, now its all clear.

Thanks to all others that posted here, too.

Problem is solved.

Last edited by webmasteryoda (2011-06-08 00:27:31)

#15 2011-07-16 07:25:37

defcon

And what did you do?

Last edited by defcon (2011-07-16 07:36:02)

Registed Linux User 608596

#16 2011-07-16 09:56:52

webmasteryoda
Website

defcon wrote:

And what did you do?

Its all in details. Just read the topic.

Board footer