You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-06 06:50:23

yochaigal

X11, TTYs and nVidia

Hey there Arch userland,

Running Arch i386.
I use an nvidia GT218 PCI graphics card on my custom hdpc.
It works well with the proprietary driver (minecraft, vdpau, compiz).
I have an interesting issue however, and hours of searching and testing have netted no results.

What happens is:
X works just fine (runnig slim & xfce) however if I try and switch to a console (TTY1-6) the screen briefly goes black/blank, then my TV says No Input. I can switch back to TTY7/X however.

I've tried adding various VGA options to my menu.lst, and I've played with the nvidia xorg.conf... anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 2011-06-06 11:52:23

ChoK

Re: X11, TTYs and nVidia

Try uvesafb

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#3 2011-06-06 13:27:51

Griemak

yochaigal wrote:

then my TV says No Input. I can switch back to TTY7/X however.

Every TV in my house, my friend's homes, family, huge complaint on Comcat forums, etc. does this; for example when I switch from Fox or ABC to NBC or CBS.  It also does this when I switch from an HD channel to an SD channel, say the Weather Channel which I switch back to SD to watch "Local on the 8's" since it isn't available on the HD channel in my area yet.  Why does it do that?  Resolution changes.  ABC/FOX = 720p; NBC/CBS = 1080i; Weather Channel SD = 480p.

When you switch from X to TTY, are you changing resolutions?  Are you changing aspect ratio?

There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

#4 2011-06-06 16:18:32

yochaigal

Do I need to load that uvesafb module somehow?
Also, I don't think its my TV -- I had an ATI 5770 a few months ago (before I replaced it with my current nVidia GPU) and I never had this issue. Also my TV doesn't let me change resolutions.

#5 2011-06-08 12:58:46

ChoK

You will need the v86d package and also the v86d hook in your mkinitcpio.conf. See there https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uvesafb

Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#6 2011-06-09 02:43:59

yochaigal

I installed the package, added the hook, recompiled the initramfs, rebooted -- Problem persists.

#7 2011-06-09 02:50:45

yochaigal

Something I failed to mention:
Specifically with this add-on card my machine does one additional thing:
After pressing Power the machine goes through post -- but NOTHING comes on the screen until literally X has started. I dismissed this issue originally since the problem occured before GRUB even; thus I assume that it would persist if i were to disconnect my HD and boot no OS.  But perhaps there is some BIOS setting interfering with framebuffer or something? Curious.

#8 2011-06-09 09:29:58

ChoK

Can you try booting with a livecd of another linux distro, can you swicht to console with it ?

Picasso
Saint Exupéry

#9 2011-06-09 09:35:19

swanson

Hey, be cool, I think it's easier to try just wihtout adding vga= to the kernel line. It worked for me with Nvidia gt220. Of course you'll have to live with the default resolution, but at least you have tty's.

#10 2011-06-09 16:41:20

yochaigal

I can't boot my machine off a live distro 'cause my BIOS/POST screen doesn't appear at all when this card is installed; I suppose I could take the card out, change th BIOS screen to automatically boot from cd/usb -- though I suspect the points at which I would have to choose a loader would not be shown (a la GRUB in my current install).  Hmmm.

My kernel line has no vga= option, and never has. I tried adding the appropriate resolution entry but it made no difference.

#11 2011-06-10 08:45:35

ChoK

It may be because before X is started, the card doesn't detect correctly the primary display. (For example using DisplayPort or DVI instead of HDMI)

Picasso
Saint Exupéry

#12 2011-06-10 09:18:14

Rasi
Website

yochaigal wrote:

I can't boot my machine off a live distro 'cause my BIOS/POST screen doesn't appear at all when this card is installed

This sounds like crappy monitor with broken VBE/VESA support

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#13 2011-06-10 15:54:52

yochaigal

Well, my previous ATI card had no issues with this monitor (which isn't that crappy).  I bet it's more of a card/motherboard issue; I don't know if it's related to the tty problem though.

#14 2011-06-10 16:35:08

Griemak

Is it a monitor or TV?  How is it connected?  DVI/HDMI, DP, VGA? Do you have different "ports" on the card, have you tried the others?

I have a few Nvidia cards from EVGA and BFG that state in the manual that connections to any port other than "#1" will "not display a POST screen until Windows loads".

There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

#15 2011-06-10 16:41:26

yochaigal

It is a philips tv.  It is connected with hdmi.  It only has hdmi input, although the card has dvi and vga & HDMI output.
From what you're saying it sounds like the TTY issue probably isn't related to the TV/BIOS problem.

Last edited by yochaigal (2011-06-10 16:41:54)

#16 2011-06-10 17:08:44

Griemak

I think it is directly related!

Out of the 3 TV's I have hooked up in the past year, only the one in the conference room at work (Sharp Aquos) displayed Post and TTY over HDMI. All Nvidia cards.  I had a hell of a time with the one, forcing EDID file and "TV" in the 20-nvidia.conf trying to get X to display (POST and TTY were fine); that was a HDMI-DVI-VGA connection.

It's an older issue, ATI seems exempt. 

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912499

Have you tried Uvesafb to force the TTY's into a resolution the TV can handle over HDMI?  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uvesafb
Many TV's refuse to handle 480i input over HDMI and most will not accept non standard resolutions (480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p input only).

#17 2011-06-10 18:38:46

yochaigal

Ah I see your point.

I did use uvesafb (see previous posts) though I'm not 100% I used it correctly -- after loading the hook into initramfs, do I need to set a vga resolution settings somewhere?

Anyways thanks for all your help guys.

#18 2011-06-13 13:31:31

ChoK

It's in the wiki
/etc/modprobe.d/uvesafb.conf

# This file sets the parameters for uvesafb module.
# The following format should be used:
# options uvesafb mode=<xres>x<yres>[-<bpp>][@<refresh>] scroll=<ywrap|ypan|redraw> ...
#
# For more details see:
# http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/fb/uvesafb.txt
#
options uvesafb mode=1280x800-32 scroll=ywrap

Picasso
Saint Exupéry

#19 2011-06-13 16:56:11

yochaigal

Right I left it at defaults... and nothing changed. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do here. If I change it to a different resolution, it has no affect.

#20 2011-06-13 20:19:32

Griemak

I suspect that the Nvidia card can only output on one port until the driver is running.  This requires "X".  Many Nvidia cards do this... only one port "outputs" a signal and the driver is able to "clone", redirect, and span to others. The AVSForum link I provided above and other places I've read offer no solution.

The uvesafb package should have resolved any "non compatible output resolution" issues.

To knock this out as a "potential reason", switch the ports (spare monitor or VGA cable laying around?) and see if output appears.

Board footer