You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-06 14:05:45

JimmySJ84

DVB server setup

Hi Guys,

Due to the streaming restriction I cant watch my national TV (Italy) while I am connected in a different country (e.g. UK).
At the moment I have a PC in Italy (with ArchLinux on it) that my Mom is using with a DVB digital decoder that is working like a charm.

My question is: is it possible to use the DVB decoder (in Italy) from remote (my PC in UK) to watch the national italian channels?

Thanks a lot in advance

Salvo

#2 2011-06-06 18:15:14

seiichiro0185
Website

Re: DVB server setup

In theory it should be possible to stream the output of the DVB decoder, but it depends a lot on which software you use on the PC in Italy, how fast it is and what internet-connection you use on both ends.

Biggest restriction here is bandwith. Most probably you will not be able to stream the DVB as it comes from the decoder, so you will have to reencode it for transfer over the internet. This means you will need a powerfull PC that can do the encoding on the fly (at least if you want to watch the stream in near realtime)

But all of this is just speculation, without more info about the setup (especially software used on the pc with the decoder, aviable internet speeds on both ends etc..) there is no definitive answer if it is possible in your case or not.

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#3 2011-06-06 18:39:07

anrxc
Website

You use VDR or MythTV perhaps? With VDR people use the streamdev plugin http://projects.vdr-developer.org/proje … -streamdev

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#4 2011-06-07 08:05:30

JimmySJ84

Thanks a lot for your responses. Speed connection is quite fast (both potential client and server) and the PC in Italy is not too bad either (I think is and AMD sempron 1.8Ghz).

I am having a better look at the VDR, it may be a possible solution.

Ciao

Board footer