You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-29 17:10:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cramfs enable in Kernel

Please provide the cramfs capability in the next Kernel release to permit the user to employ Klik .cmg applications in archlinux.  The klik system provides compressed format applications thus providing a more efficient use of system resources.

The typical reduction in storage space is 50%.  The applications can be stored in any system storage device ..added to or deleted by the user at will.  They can be exchanged p2p.

Cramfs files are limited to 16MB size and a total of 256MB.  As such, they are of limited value in toto but can be manipulated by the user as he or she sees fit.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2005-04-29 17:24:56

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Cramfs enable in Kernel

you can recompile your kernel...

#3 2005-04-30 00:44:02

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have had to do that four times so far!!!!

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2005-04-30 05:02:07

miqorz

And?

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#5 2005-04-30 06:45:31

iBertus

it's not uncommon to have to compile a kernel for special needs. i'm using a custom kernel right now for reiser4 support because i didn't want to use any of the patchset kernels. it happens.

#6 2005-04-30 17:45:51

lilsirecho
Veteran

Only complying with the requested ..."submit to aur".

I have duly submitted, a very sma' thing.  Config_cramfs=y

If I had a hundred comps to mod??????

I assume most requests are rejected if like this sma' thing is not considered a "BIG DEAL".

I do consider the use of compressed apps as a "BIG DEAL" in saving space on HDD.

I bow to mecca in reverence but I face west (still facing mecca on long path)...we don't all think alike, nor act alike....Linux has many flavors.

Utilization of the compressed apps in arch could be a blessing to many users.

I guess I have to do the deep-knee bends every Kernel change in order to stay with the standard system...no special kernels...spend time modding the kernel anyway!!!!

#7 2005-04-30 18:19:59

Gullible Jones

Hasn't CramFS been obsoleted by SquashFS?

#8 2005-05-03 19:00:01

Father

by the same token, why not add all modules to the kernel..

the simple answer is, because it would make the default kernel extremely bloated.. most users dont need modules such as this..

arch doesnt hold your hand, it provides a _very_ robust framework within which you can modify your system to your hearts content..

and if you have 100+ computers, create a kernel config file with `make menuconfig', then create a PKGBUILD and a package and use that..

no offence.. but id consider changing your tone in future.. imo its not appropriate.. were all more than willing to help.. just be nice when you ask

#9 2005-05-03 19:36:36

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

on a similar token - saving harddrive space isn't a big deal when talking about applications... now if you want to compress media (mp3,ogg,mpg,avi), that's be great, as that tends to be a majority of people's disk space usage.

I would understand hard drive savings if you couldn't buy 80GB drives for about $40 (USD)... but disk space is cheap

#10 2005-06-28 20:11:49

lilsirecho
Veteran

Recent bittorrent download of KNOPPIX DVD 4.0 with cramfs reveals an advantage using cmg files.

The cmg files reside in desktop, any one or more of , say 4, desktops.

If, say,  OPERA were included as a cmg, the access time is very short, a couple of seconds.

Firefox, included in the DVD program set, however, takes many more seconds to access.

This provides an improved operating system using cramfs and does so with compression in the added files.

The same improvement should be available in arch if cramfs is enabled.  The DVD example shows greater improvement due to its size but as arch grows larger, the use of cmg will be noticed in access time.

A useful system it seems is provided by cramfs and cmg files and it can be changed by the user to suit his style of operating.

#11 2005-06-29 00:24:14

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Knoppix is bloated and messy.....

If you want this so badly, file in the bugtracker, I woulda thought by now you would have realised that next to no devs read the forums.....

#12 2005-06-29 06:08:46

Father

adding compression to binaries only slows down the loading process

incase you havent noticed, knoppix is a cd/dvd based live distro, hence, space is at a premium if you want to fit as many of the latest apps on a dvd.

arch is _not_ a live distro.. hard disk space is cheap..

if you want cramfs.. compile it yourself.. as we have said many times..

from the arch linux about page

Arch Linux is a general purpose linux distribution that can be molded to do just about anything.

Arch Linux is a workhorse distribution designed to fit the needs of the competent linux user.

so please.. stop complaining and do it yourself..

if you want help doing it.. by all means.. ASK! we have _no_ problem with people trying to do ANYTHING they want.. no problem at all..
but dont demand that this feature is added into the mainstream distro

#13 2005-06-29 06:24:00

lilsirecho
Veteran

Please, I am not complaining.  I merely pointed out an advantage provided by cmg on the desktop.

I am capable of installing cramfs.

I find that anything provided right on the desktop is rapidly enabled.  This is not true if the item has to be selected from the program menu and then searched before being displayed.  Perrhaps you aren't familiar with the technique of cmg.  It is decompressed "on the fly".

As I reported, the impact of cmg is that it is faster for access.

That is a fact that I report for information on the subject...not complaining!!!

#14 2005-06-29 12:53:38

Father

i apologise if i took your posts the wrong way..

ill take a look at cramfs and squashfs and see how they work exactly..

#15 2005-06-30 08:30:32

Father

seems squashfs isnt in the vanilla kernel so id say thats definitely out of the question.. im not sure if it supercedes cramfs however..

the only use i really see for cramfs is on flash devices where it may be handy.. however, you then mitigate the portability of a flash device as any machine using it requires cramfs..
it could also be used in a bootable flash device, however, there are many distros that are geared for this already..

Board footer