You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-06 15:40:39

Mr.Burns

USB Hard Drive not recognized by Sheevaplug

Relatively new, but I've already spent about 12 hours trying to find the solution on my own to no avail, so I thought I'd try my first ever forum post.

I've recently installed Plugbox on a Sheevaplug and it seems to be running well for the most part.  Plugbox is based on Arch, but has been modified to run on ARM architecture, which is used by the Sheevaplug.  The plug boots from an SD card.  Prior to installing Plugbox, I had been running Ubuntu on the plug with a USB hard drive without issues for about a year and a half.  On to the problem ...

So far, I have been unable to get Arch to recognize my USB hard drive.  This is more than just a simple mounting issue; there is no /dev/sda* created after plugging in the USB hard drive.  I have done a bit of testing to help try and pin down the problem.  I don't think this is a problem with the drive because it was working fine until I changed the OS.  Further, this isn't an issue with the Sheevaplug USB plug, as it recognizes the thumb drive I used to install the OS. 

After searching various forums for some time and reviewing some of my log files, I have a couple of ideas as to what may be cause.  First, I have found that there may be an issue with my USB modules.  lsusb returns the following: 

dvader ~ $ lsusb
unable to initialize libusb: -99

I have also noted that udev was throwing off a ton of log errors.  My daemon.log, errors.log, and everything.log grew to the size of about 7GB in total simply by repeatedly spewing the following log error.  (I have since turned off logging for these three files.)

localhost udevd[563]: unable to receive ctrl connection: Function not implemented

At this point, I'm at a bit of a loss and am trying to avoid staying up until 1am tinkering with little success.  Any help, advice, or leads on what may be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by Mr.Burns (2011-06-06 15:43:28)

#2 2011-06-06 15:48:42

karol
Archivist

Re: USB Hard Drive not recognized by Sheevaplug

PlugApps has its own forum http://plugapps.com/forum/ Please report the problems there.

#3 2011-06-06 20:29:24

Mr.Burns

Re: USB Hard Drive not recognized by Sheevaplug

Not the response that I was hoping for, but I have submitted my question to the Plugapps forum, as you suggested.  If I am successful and find a solution via the Plugapps forum, I will link to that solution here in the hope that it may help someone else.

Board footer