You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-06 22:20:24

will03uk

X-server Enable mouse and keyboard

I have no xorg.conf files and only graphics work with fluxbox; the mouse and keyboard do nothing. What drivers do I need and what device configurations do I need. I understand you'll need more information so just ask and I'll find it out for you. Thanks

#2 2011-06-06 22:24:48

karol
Archivist

Re: X-server Enable mouse and keyboard

The information is in the logs in /var/log - /var/log/Xorg.0.log is the one we're after.
Have you installed xf86-input-evdev? If you follow the beginners' guide everything should work.

#3 2011-06-15 05:12:37

lexan

karol wrote:

The information is in the logs in /var/log - /var/log/Xorg.0.log is the one we're after.
Have you installed xf86-input-evdev? If you follow the beginners' guide everything should work.

I have xf86-input-evdev installed as well as the xorg drivers for the keyboard, mouse, and touchpad for my laptop.
I followed the beginner's guide and when I try to test out X with xorg-twm, xorg-xclock, and xterm, only xorg-twm and xterm are installed; pacman can't find the xorg-xclock package.
I have general integrated intel graphics. When I start up x with startx, I get a screen with a few terminals and a clock; but I can't move my mouse or click.

There isn't anything in my Xorg.0.log file

#4 2011-06-15 05:48:07

ewaller
Administrator

Lexan wrote:

Bizarre hmm

Would you post the output of:
pacman -Qsq Xf86
and of
ls -l /var/log/X*

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-06-15 05:53:50

ewaller
Administrator

will03uk wrote:

I have no xorg.conf files and only graphics work with fluxbox; the mouse and keyboard do nothing. What drivers do I need and what device configurations do I need. I understand you'll need more information so just ask and I'll find it out for you. Thanks

You should have :

xf86-input-evdev
xf86-input-keyboard
xf86-input-mouse

and, if appropriate,

xf86-input-synaptics

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#6 2011-06-15 18:45:36

lexan

ewaller wrote:
Lexan wrote:

Bizarre hmm

Would you post the output of:
pacman -Qsq Xf86
and of
ls -l /var/log/X*

Thank you for the response. This is my first time with arch, and I followed the beginner's guide. I'm currently typing this with my phone tongue
Output of pacman -Qsq Xf86

libxxf86dga
libxxf86misc
libxxf86vm
xf86-input-evdev
xf86-input-keyboard
xf86-input-mouse
xf86-input-synaptics
xf86-video-intel
xf86dgaproto
xf86miscproto
xf86vidmodeproto

Output of ls -l /var/log/X*

-rw-r--4-- 1 root root 0 June 15 14:33 /var/log/Xorg.0.log
-rw-r--4-- 1 root root 0 June 15 09:23 /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

#7 2011-06-15 21:52:50

lexan

I figured out my problem. My mirrors from the install were outdated. I reinstalled the whole system with a new mirror and everything worked.
Thanks for the replies though!

#8 2011-06-15 22:16:30

ewaller
Administrator

Lexan,

Tell me your Xorg logs are no longer blank so I can sleep tonight

---

#9 2011-06-18 03:51:16

lexan

ewaller wrote:

Lexan,

Tell me your Xorg logs are no longer blank so I can sleep tonight

Ahh! Sorry for the late reply! (I need to get these posts to trigger an email) I really hope you slept :-P Yes, they are very much NOT empty.

I'm really liking Arch. I've got a few more housekeeping things to do with it like work on getting power management to work and having my volume buttons work lol.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm using so far:
http://i.imgur.com/k1tx2.jpg
openbox as my stand alone WM and tint2 as my panel

Quick question: I've noticed a lot of screenshots with a terminal up showing ascii art of the arch logo with some system info such as this towards the bottom left: http://gallery.techarena.in/data/511/Op … onandi.png

How are they doing it? Is it a small script or a program?
Thank you!

#10 2011-06-18 04:14:35

ewaller
Administrator

Like this? openboxandarchlinuxbyro.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See this page: http://img32.imageshack.us/content_roun … uxbyro.png
I uploaded your url.  On that page, there are things you can cut and paste to the forum to provide thumbnails

This is drifting off topic.  If appropriate, go ahead and open a new thread.  (It makes it easier to search the forums)

EDIT Nevermind, I need to read before I post.  I assumed you were asking how to put thumbnails in the forum.  Silly me.
I have no suggestions for the actual question; But I do suggest you start it in a new thread.

Last edited by ewaller (2011-06-18 04:29:26)

---

Board footer