You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-09 05:56:05

Tyriel
Website

cmp-daemon fails to load

When I try to load cmp-daemon for fan control on my Macbook Pro 6,1 I get the following error.

# modprobe applesmc -v
# start cmp-daemon
:: Starting cmp-daemon                                                                                               [BUSY]
daemon is already running or applesmc not loaded, try:  modprobe applesmc -v                                         [FAIL] 

Does anyone know how to fix this?

The software required Windows XP or better, so I installed archlinux.

#2 2011-06-12 11:46:00

chrisbuchholz
Website

Re: cmp-daemon fails to load

Nope, but I get the same thing!

#3 2011-06-28 05:29:37

jeffrey p

I've been having this problem on my Macbook Pro.  I only installed Arch about a week ago and it's the first I've really messed around with any Linux distribution outside of a VM so it will be nice to hear feedback from somebody who knows if this approach is worthwhile or not. 

I got it working today though, this is the route I took.  It seems to be running cool enough so I won't worry about it until I see the core temps get out of control.  Otherwise it's been really hot the past week and it isn't anymore.

In my daemon.log file I noticed that cmp-daemon was dying when it would try to write to any of the files related to fan2.  From /sys/devices/platform/applesmc.768/, I can only see fan1 files (fan1_manual, fan1_output, etc) and no fan2.  Looking around on another forum I believe someone speculated that fan1 was likely controlling the other fan as well.  That may be the case or it may be a setup issue with applesmc...  Hopefully someone can shed some light on that.

I just ended up changing around the source for cmp-daemon and recompiling it.  I commented out all the lines where fan2 files were being changed.  Once I did that, I put the new cmp-daemon in place and it's been working fine.  That may or may not be something you can implement yourself, depending on how comfortable you are with editing the .c file. 

Like I said, I'm new to this so now I'm wondering if there's a way to create dummy fan2 files that cmp-daemon can write to instead.  That way recompiling hopefully wouldn't be necessary.

#4 2011-12-16 09:37:02

ennui

cmp-daemon starts but dies right away for me now. I have just started trying to use this daemon a fellow archer has made: http://allanmcrae.com/2011/08/mbp-fan-daemon-update/

But this seems to only affect 1 fan. Any ideas?

Board footer