You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-11 02:14:30

cb474

Advantages of New Module Blacklisting?

I'm just curious, could someone explain to me what are the advantages of the new method for module blacklisting?

Off hand its seems counter to the Arch keep it simple philosophy, with rc.conf being one centralized place to alter a lot of systems settings, rather than having them fragmented between various different .conf files.

The Arch Linux News post on this alludes to long term benefits for the new method, without describing them. So I'm just wondering what those benefits are. Thanks.

Last edited by cb474 (2011-06-11 02:15:09)

#2 2011-06-11 03:07:31

mcmillan

Re: Advantages of New Module Blacklisting?

My understanding is the old way had become redundant with stuff that modprobe was doing themselves. As user it's probably a little less simple having things spread around, though it becomes simpler for the devs to maintain since they can just rely on upstream.

#3 2011-06-11 05:51:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

cb474 wrote:

Off hand its seems counter to the Arch keep it simple philosophy, with rc.conf being one centralized place to alter a lot of systems settings, rather than having them fragmented between various different .conf files.

Arch's simplicity was never primarily about the user having things easy smile. rc.conf is central to Arch-specific settings, and module blacklisting is now possible in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf, so its not longer an Arch-specific setting.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-06-11 15:47:55

pogeymanz

Just here to +1 ngoonee.

It used to be necessary. Since modprobe now has built in blacklisting, it is no longer necessary for Arch to have its own way. That's simplicity.

#5 2011-06-13 07:53:32

cb474

Okay, so it's more consistent with the philosophy of letting packages work how they were intended upstream. I get that.

Are there any benefits to the new way, other than that? Thanks.

#6 2011-06-13 09:53:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

cb474 wrote:

Okay, so it's more consistent with the philosophy of letting packages work how they were intended upstream. I get that.

Are there any benefits to the new way, other than that? Thanks.

Supposedly faster, but I don't think that's directly a result of this change, more some other cleanups in load-module.sh (not having to deal with blacklisting of course makes things much easier).

You could just go to the ML and read the recent thread on this, you know.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2011-06-13 22:56:40

ANOKNUSA

The primary benefit is that it avoids the potential detriments of having multiple configs/symlinks/abstract layers of software/whatever vie for control of a particular task.  It wasn't intended to make things better, so much as to forestall potential problems.

#8 2011-06-14 23:50:08

cb474

Thanks, ANOKNUSA.

Board footer