You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-11 09:03:02

der_harm

Arch USB setup for different hardware

Hi,
I am wondering what files get installed during arch setup.

Are that basic files that run on all PCs or are also files getting installed that are particulary needed for special hardware?
As far as I know all open source driver are included into the kernel and therefore ONE arch setup should run on ALL plattforms, right?
Is that also true for the configuration files?

Why else would LiveCDs be able to run?

I am askting this as I would like to do a arch usb setup and use it as OS for another computer which i am going to put together in a few days.

Cheers
Harm

#2 2011-06-11 10:52:58

karol
Archivist

Re: Arch USB setup for different hardware

Depends how do you configure things: if you have an xorg.conf (or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf) that says "use Intel card and drivers" and you try to use it on a computer with an nvidia card - it may not work, you need to change the settings.

A liveCD can have even the proprietary drivers on it - see e.g. Chakra, it should work on most hardware as it detects what gear you have and uses the appropriate drivers for it.

#3 2011-06-11 11:46:29

der_harm

thanks karol!

the graphics configuration I can imagine to make trouble very well:)

Is there a difference between the boot process from a liveCD and a proper setup concidering hardware detection?
So would booting from a liveMedium be as fast as booting a proper setup?

I try to figur out the difference between linux and windows. On Windows detecting and setting up a new hardware is always really slow!!

#4 2011-06-11 11:49:23

karol
Archivist

The data has to be usually decompressed and loaded from the CD / DVD / USB to RAM which is a rather slow process.

You can try some different Arch-based liveCDs to see how it works https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … s_(Active)

#5 2011-06-11 12:14:42

der_harm

karol wrote:

The data has to be usually decompressed and loaded from the CD / DVD / USB to RAM which is a rather slow process.

Well, and after a proper setup the files are already decompressed on the harddisk? These files have to be loades into RAM, too!
In that case on a rather big usb stick there would be no compression required and the only bottleneck is the usb data transfer?

karol wrote:

You can try some different Arch-based liveCDs to see how it works https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … s_(Active)

thanks for the link, ganna have l look:)

Last edited by der_harm (2011-06-11 12:15:48)

#6 2011-06-11 12:19:43

karol
Archivist

der_harm wrote:
karol wrote:

Well, and after a proper setup the files are already decompressed on the harddisk? These files have to be loades into RAM, too!
In that case on a rather big usb stick there would be no compression required and the only bottleneck is the usb data transfer?

Those are two different options: a liveCD / DVD / USB you can run w/o a hard drive and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Usb_install

#7 2011-06-11 12:31:22

der_harm

I have read that page before, thanks anyway.

I intend to do a headless installation and so that basic setup should run on all computers, as I have understood so far. The kernel should include most required drivers.

I think this would not be possible with Windows, as it copies the needed drivers on disk only.

Board footer