You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-13 09:08:46

changs

Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object

Hello. I installed Virtualbox 4.0.8 on Arch Linux x86_64 and have a problem with it. I had run Virtualbox after install without problems but after a restart of host system I cannot run it anymore.
When I try to run Virtualbox (either on root and user) I get this error:

Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminate.
Callee RC:
NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED (0x80040154)

And also:

# /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxSVC
VBoxSVC: error: Failed to get IPC service! (rc=NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED)
XPCOM server has shutdown.

I've tried these solution:
- remove .VirtualBox
- remove VirtualBox's tmp dirs
- reinstall VirtualBox from Arch repositories
- install Virtualbox from Linux installer provided on virtualbox.org
- run hal, stop dbus and other combinations
- setting permissions

chown root.root /tmp
chmod 1777 /tmp
chmod ug-s /tmp

Nothing helped. What can I do more?

Last edited by changs (2011-06-13 11:31:55)

#2 2011-08-03 22:35:08

xganesh

Re: Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object

I'm having the same problem here.
On the web, there is a variety of suggestions made by different users. Those include adding the user to the vboxusers group, checking permissions and changing it, changing a vbox directory under /tmp (I never found one).
I have the same version of VirtualBox on another box, which also runs Arch, and it works fine. So, I've compared the directories and permissions of both machines, and they are identical.
The only difference on this machine is that I have a separate partition for the vms, and I chose it as the vms directory under Preferences.
I removed the Virtualbox Arch package and installed the downloaded binary with its own installer. It worked fine for a couple of days. Today, I'm getting the same error. I'm puzzled.
I hope some of the wise members here can point me to the right direction. The regular advise (like setting up the driver or adding my user to the vboxusers group) I have followed carefully. Now I don't know what else to do.

Last edited by xganesh (2011-08-03 22:38:58)

#3 2011-08-04 07:20:56

changs

xganesh wrote:

I'm having the same problem here.

The only difference on this machine is that I have a separate partition for the vms, and I chose it as the vms directory under Preferences.
I removed the Virtualbox Arch package and installed the downloaded binary with its own installer. It worked fine for a couple of days. Today, I'm getting the same error. I'm puzzled.

This may be the cause, because I had a separate partition for the vms also. Now I have reinstalled system and vms on the same partition and Virtualbox works fine.

#4 2011-09-18 17:39:56

xganesh

In retrospect, there is another factor in my case that may be of interest to others.
The computer I had the Virtualbox problem with is a laptop, with HD encrypted with luks. To make my life easier on the road, I had implemented automatic login as explained here. I had chosen the 'C login program' method. Whenever I needed, after that automatic login, I started X. It was after that sequence that I experienced the problems described above with Virtualbox.
I found out that after a regular login the problem did not occur.
I changed my login method to using mingetty, as recommended on the page, and then Virtualbox started working as usual.

Board footer