You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-13 19:23:21

DSpider

[SOLVED] VirtualBox complaining after each kernel upgrade

I'm using virtualbox-bin from the AUR (the one with USB support) and after each kernel update this error comes up:

CzoXV.png

I know it's actually /etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup
(apparently VirtualBox isn't aware of which distribution it's running on)

This message comes up every once in a while (usually after a kernel upgrade) and I was wondering if I can do something about it... Should I install the DKMS package from the AUR prior to running the above command? Maybe that will shut it up once and for all.

What do you think?

PS: The wiki says to run "vboxbuild" but /usr/bin/vboxbuild doesn't even exist.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-05-15 15:39:13)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2011-06-13 19:30:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] VirtualBox complaining after each kernel upgrade

If you want to.

#3 2012-05-15 15:09:31

DSpider

Solved it a year later because I got tired of running "sudo /etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup && sudo modprobe vboxdrv" after every kernel update. Hmph... After reading this and studying the virtualbox-hook package from the AUR, I decided that it's finally time to look into it.

It's easy.

1. Create a "/lib/initcpio/install/vbox" file (or whatever you wanna call it) with the following contents:

# vim: set ft=sh:

build ()
{
    echo "Building VirtualBox modules..."
    /etc/rc.d/vboxdrv setup
    echo "Ok."
}

help ()
{
cat<<HELPEOF
  This hook rebuilds VirtualBox modules. It does nothing to the initrd image.
HELPEOF
}

2. Add it to the "HOOKS" section from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usbinput filesystems vbox"

Now the next time the linux and linux-headers packages are updated, the script will kick in and the modules will be rebuilt. I used to have it during boot process and it took forever until it would load X. Haha. I remember I used to go to bathroom just after I turned on the computer... Yeah, it took that long before it was done. Anyway, I asked the author if he can perhaps create a virtualbox-bin-hook package or somehow modify it to also work with virtualbox-bin. We shall see.

Oh, and don't forget to add "vboxdrv" to the "MODULES" section from /etc/rc.conf, if you haven't done so already.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-05-15 15:14:15

wonder
Developer
Website

DSpider wrote:

I'm using virtualbox-bin from the AUR (the one with USB support) and after each kernel update this error comes up:

What do you think ?

you do know that there is no difference between virtualbox-bin and virtualbox from community right? both have basic usb 1.1 support and usb 2.0 with extpack.

virtualbox from community depends on virtualbox-modules and you do not need to compile any modules.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2012-05-15 15:38:20

DSpider

Hmm...

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

I was under the impression that there were two versions: VirtualBox OSE (open source edition), which you could find in the community repo, and VirtualBox PUEL ("Personal Use and Evaluation License"), from the AUR, known as virtualbox-bin... Why does virtualbox-bin even exist then?

#6 2012-05-15 15:59:00

wonder
Developer
Website

because is always nice to have the one provided from oracle just to see if our package is bugged.

#7 2012-05-15 16:15:57

alphaniner

I think at one point the OSE was the only version available in the repos.

Or maybe I'm having Ubuntu flashbacks.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#8 2012-05-15 16:24:41

wonder
Developer
Website

alphaniner wrote:

I think at one point the OSE was the only version available in the repos.

Or maybe I'm having Ubuntu flashbacks.

of course it was but that's not the point. oracle just ditched the second edition and offers now only the ose + packs

Board footer