You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-14 11:23:31

Edder

Cant get an wireless connection

Hello everyone,

I successfully managed to connect my think edge with my wlan router, but I cant get an IP from dhcp (it times out) and static IP wont work too.
Ping to my gateway with static ip gets: Destination Host Unreachable
Ping to other machines in the network: connect: Network is unreachable
Mac address filter is disabled and with windows 7 it works just fine, it must be arch, what can i do?

#2 2011-06-14 14:21:49

Hyugga

Re: Cant get an wireless connection

Can you give us more information about your hardware?
You can have network problems if you don't configure some files properly. Did you check the wiki?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network

Good luck.

#3 2011-06-14 14:42:22

nuk

Checked the drivers?
Got any network connection manager?
What about : " ip link set dev wlan0 up " ?

#4 2011-06-14 16:07:36

Mmarzex

Edder wrote:

Hello everyone,

I successfully managed to connect my think edge with my wlan router, but I cant get an IP from dhcp (it times out) and static IP wont work too.
Ping to my gateway with static ip gets: Destination Host Unreachable
Ping to other machines in the network: connect: Network is unreachable
Mac address filter is disabled and with windows 7 it works just fine, it must be arch, what can i do?

I don't know if this will help but when I have problems with dhcp timing out. I will set my wireless card's channel to auto and that usually helps.

it would be iwconfig wlan0 channel auto. Substitute wlan0 for whatever the interface name is.

#5 2011-06-15 08:54:40

Edder

Thanks guys, i got a little update on my problem, i get a connection but it takes years, i will try it with changing the channel.
Hardware: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 with AMD CPU and Realtek rtl 8192ce Wireless card and I use the wext driver with wpa_supplicant to connect.

iwconfig says that Im connected, but I cant ping the gateway, after a few minutes it works and then the connections drops again (if Im really lucky, Im even able to install something with pacman).

#6 2011-06-15 22:16:55

jayd3e

Coming from experience, on a laptop you are not going to want to use wpa_supplicant as a main method of connecting to a wireless network(kind of wish someone told me that when I started using arch).  Wpa_supplicant is good at what it does, but in order for it to work, you have to define very specific configurations for each network you want to connect to.  I would say everyone should be using some form of GUI to connect to wireless networks on a laptop, as I'm sure there will come a time when you walk into a coffee shop or something, and need to access the internet.  You won't want to write a configuration for each specific network in order to use it.  Just use wicd-gtk or my favorite, networkmanager-applet.  If you were on a desktop, the situation would be a little different, but not much.

#7 2011-06-15 22:20:27

jayd3e

What desktop environment do you use?

#8 2011-06-15 22:21:19

Edder

Im using gnome 3, does the two tools you mentioned work on it too?

#9 2011-06-15 22:55:18

jgreen1tc

i actually prefer changing configuration files. I mostly go between 3 different places, so having wireless access at those 3 places without having to do anything myself is huge. And most coffee shops etc. are open networks so you dont have to set up a bunch of different configuration files. just change the ESSID.

#10 2011-06-16 00:09:31

Eslam Mostafa

Installing wicd may help you

pacman -S wicd wicd-gtk

#11 2011-06-16 01:11:15

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Eslam Mostafa wrote:

Installing wicd may help you

pacman -S wicd wicd-gtk

Agreed. See the wicd wiki page.

#12 2011-06-16 14:22:44

jayd3e

jgreen1tc:  I too went through a phase where I wanted to do everything completely by command line, and although fun, I really don't think it is ever easier.  Think about it, even if you have a script to do it all for you, as I did, you have to 1) open a commandline(had mine hotkeyed) 2) navigate to the folder the script is in 3) Run the script, with a directive specifying which connection you are connecting to.  Granted you could create a symlink in your home directory to your script which would eliminate #2, but you would still have to run it EVERY time you booted up.  My point is that no matter what you do, using the GUI to connect to a wireless network is always going to be faster over the long run and easier for every situation.  B/c think about it, your not going to frequent only those three places for the next few years, chances are you are going to need to get quick internet access at a place where you are not going to want to go through hell fine tuning a config file to connect to some ridiculous type of encryption, it's just not practical.  Just saying, for a development laptop, there are certain things that I like to keep in gui form(wireless network manager, power management, and sound management), and others I use the cli for.

Edder: Yes, for Gnome3, I recommend first trying networkmanager-applet.  You will need to:
1) Download/install networkmanager
2) Add yourself to the 'networkmanager' group(create it if it doesn't exist)
3) Download/install networkmanager-applet(or w/e it is called)
4) Add the networkmanager daemon to your start up daemons in rc.conf
5) Add dbus there as well

Keep in mind nm-applet will work fine on some systems but is kind of a bother on others.  Just try it out, if it doesn't work, go to wicd.

Last edited by jayd3e (2011-06-16 14:23:45)

Board footer