You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-14 14:49:22

d0se

Anyone know how to change nautilus background in gnome3 fallback mode?

The usual place was edit >> backgrounds and emblems  but that no longer exist.
is there a file someplace i can manually edit or something i am missing in gconf?

thanks in advance for any help

#2 2011-06-14 17:46:26

Wey

Re: Anyone know how to change nautilus background in gnome3 fallback mode?

I think the original behavior as in the former nautilus gtk2 has been removed during the gnome 2.91 development in the fall of 2010. See e. g. here: http://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus/co … d22eaf1554

However, nautilus ships with /usr/share/nautilus/nautilus.css, maybe you can tweak it for a custom background. Though, i doubt the feature will be officially restored, as it's contrary to gnome's design decisions.

#3 2011-06-15 02:05:04

d0se

Yea I was looking into that earlier, thanks for the reply.
While changing the background color is better than nothing, you wouldn't by any chance have an idea on how to point it to an image would you?

In the mean time ill just have to look into what can be done with this and css in general.

#4 2011-06-15 12:35:50

Wey

If you have already managed to specify a background color for the whole area you archived far more than me, all i could come up with was making the bottom bar red:
bildschirmfoto1tuy.png

You might have a look at /usr/share/gnome-shell/themes/gnome-shell.css, they're specifying some images there (i didn't get this working for nautilus though):

background-image: url("corner-ripple-ltr.png");

Some further explanation on gtk with css: http://gnomejournal.org/article/107/sty … k-with-css

#5 2011-06-16 00:56:07

triplesquarednine

Nautilus' background isn't specified in it's own .css ---> it points to your gtk3 theme's 'gtk-widgets.css'...

/usr/themes/**your-theme**/gtk-widgets.css

in my theme it is line:994+... in Adwaita it is line:973+;

}
.view {
    color: #bbb;
    background-color: #1d1d1d;
    border-radius: 0;
    border-width: 2;
}

i would assume in most themes it will be located in a similar place.  just keep in mind that .view affects more than just nautilus' background color. for example - it also is gnome-system-settings background too (atleast the background of where the icons are). it also affects dconf-editor, when dconf-editor has nothing to display - this was actually a stupid design, really... I wish they kept all of this stuff separate from each other..

but you could change this in nautilus' .css i think, instead of referencing gtk-widgets.css...

I figured this out because i use dark themes, and hated Adwaita's over use of white - which is too hard on my eyes!

***also, keep in mind that if you do change nautilus' .css - when nautilus is updated you will lose your settings, unless you define this .css in pacman with the 'NoUpgrade' option - for more info, i have discussed this in another thread (scroll down to the bottom);

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114184&p=17

i also post a link to the gnome Arch-wiki - where this is also explained...

hope this helps smile

EDIT:  one more quick note, that may be helpful - if you don't know your html colors - install "gpick"..it's pretty handy for identifying colors by moving your cursor over top of them (much like picking a color in an image in gimp). there are also similar tools, i just happen to use gpick.

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-06-16 01:02:22)

#6 2011-06-16 01:04:11

triplesquarednine

Wey wrote:

I think the original behavior as in the former nautilus gtk2 has been removed during the gnome 2.91 development in the fall of 2010. See e. g. here: http://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilus/co … d22eaf1554

However, nautilus ships with /usr/share/nautilus/nautilus.css, maybe you can tweak it for a custom background. Though, i doubt the feature will be officially restored, as it's contrary to gnome's design decisions.

nautilus.css affects very little, it mostly just points to your theme, with a few exceptions...

#7 2011-06-16 02:09:01

d0se

triplesquarednine wrote:

Nautilus' background isn't specified in it's own .css ---> it points to your gtk3 theme's 'gtk-widgets.css'...

/usr/themes/**your-theme**/gtk-widgets.css

in my theme it is line:994+... in Adwaita it is line:973+;

}
.view {
    color: #bbb;
    background-color: #1d1d1d;
    border-radius: 0;
    border-width: 2;
}

i would assume in most themes it will be located in a similar place.  just keep in mind that .view affects more than just nautilus' background color. for example - it also is gnome-system-settings background too (atleast the background of where the icons are). it also affects dconf-editor, when dconf-editor has nothing to display - this was actually a stupid design, really... I wish they kept all of this stuff separate from each other..

but you could change this in nautilus' .css i think, instead of referencing gtk-widgets.css...

I figured this out because i use dark themes, and hated Adwaita's over use of white - which is too hard on my eyes!

***also, keep in mind that if you do change nautilus' .css - when nautilus is updated you will lose your settings, unless you define this .css in pacman with the 'NoUpgrade' option - for more info, i have discussed this in another thread (scroll down to the bottom);

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114184&p=17

i also post a link to the gnome Arch-wiki - where this is also explained...

hope this helps smile

EDIT:  one more quick note, that may be helpful - if you don't know your html colors - install "gpick"..it's pretty handy for identifying colors by moving your cursor over top of them (much like picking a color in an image in gimp). there are also similar tools, i just happen to use gpick.

Thanks for all the great info.  Ill be doing some experimenting throughout the next couple of days, I will def post soon with updates.

#8 2011-06-16 02:20:11

triplesquarednine

d0se wrote:

Thanks for all the great info.  Ill be doing some experimenting throughout the next couple of days, I will def post soon with updates.

glad i could be of service. I just remember when i was trying to figure out GTK3 themes, and CSS - it was annoying trying to figure out why nautilus wasn't looking the way i wanted it too. originally i had my background black - until i realized how .view was used in other applications, i eventually fixed my issues - but it was irratating...lol

cheerz

Board footer