You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-17 17:18:38

Mmarzex

mpd issue not able to open log file

I've been trying to setup mpd on my netbook arch install and have got config and everything setup but I keep getting this error,

log: problem opening log file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log" (config line 37) for writing

My config line 37 is

log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"

the mpd user owns /var/log/mpd so I don't know what the issue is.

Let me know if you need anything else from my system.

#2 2011-06-17 18:25:42

ewaller
Administrator

Re: mpd issue not able to open log file

Ownership notwithstanding, does the owner have write permissions on the directory? Is the log file currently owned by the mpd user?

Are you running mpd as a rc.d daemon, or are you starting it as a user?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-06-18 04:28:36

Mmarzex

It is being started as an rc.d daemon. And It appears that I was stupid and never gave write permissions. That problem is solved. But when I run ncmpcpp I still do not see any of my music I only see an empty library. I ran mpd stating that it failed to bind to 6600 that the address already. I don't know why it is giving me that as nothing else is using 6600 except mpd. So I am at a loss here.

#4 2011-06-18 18:05:16

Mmarzex

Okay I'm at a loss here for whatever reason music does not show up. I tried starting mpd as root and I get this output

[maxmarze@titan ~]$ sudo mpd
listen: bind to '0.0.0.0:6600' failed: Address already in use (continuing anyway, because binding to '[::]:6600' succeeded)
music directory is not a directory: "/home/maxmarze/music"
output: No "audio_output" defined in config file
output: Attempt to detect audio output device
output: Attempting to detect a alsa audio device
output: Successfully detected a alsa audio device

My mpd config file is as such

music_directory       "/home/maxmarze/music/"         # Your music dir.                                                      
playlist_directory    "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
db_file               "/var/lib/mpd/mpd.db"
log_file              "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"
pid_file              "/var/run/mpd/mpd.pid"
state_file            "/var/lib/mpd/mpdstate"
user                  "mpd"
# Binding to address and port causing problems in mpd-0.14.2 best to leave                                                   
# commented.                                                                                                                 
# bind_to_address       "127.0.0.1"                                                                                          
# port                  "6600"

and my ncmpcpp config is

mpd_host = "127.0.0.1"
mpd_port = "6600"
mpd_music_dir = "/home/maxmarze/music/"
mpd_connection_timeout = "5"
mpd_crossfade_time = "5"

The music directory is owned by me and mpd as I assumed it would be.

Board footer