You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-17 19:26:13

Calibanio

[SOLVED] Gnome 3: Turning off screen blankening

I have been trying to find a workaround for screen blankening in gnome 3 for awhile but haven't had much luck. What I am speaking of is simply the lack of an option to choose "never" under "gnome-control-center screen", currently options vary between 1 minute and 60 minutes; I wish to remove it completely.

What I have tried is to inactivate it by disabling idle-activation in dconf-editor, both by gui and command:

gsettings set org.gnome.dektop.screensaver idle-activation-enabled false

This however does nothing, other than disable the actual screensaver, controlled by the value set by:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay value

the "idle-delay" value in itself seem to be controlled by the value set in "gnome-control-center screen" but not the other way around. Meaning the screen will always be turned off when the time specified in "gnome-control-center screen" has elapsed.

The reason for me wanting to disable the screen blankening completely, is because whenever I listen to music, which is often, I have my laptop connected to the TV through HDMI, whenever the given time has passed the TV is turned off and I need to deactivate the blankening manually, which is annoying.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Calibanio (2011-06-19 12:31:55)

#2 2011-06-18 19:00:54

valentinmauro

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome 3: Turning off screen blankening

You may try install http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=49368 (gnome-shell-extension-presentation-mode-git), activate it from gnome-tweak-tool. This will give you a "Presentation Mode" switch on the battery icon, who once activated, will turn off the blankening, and screen lock functions. I hope it will help you. (Sorry for my english, i'm a spanish-speaker)

#3 2011-06-19 12:31:35

Calibanio

valentinmauro wrote:

You may try install http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=49368 (gnome-shell-extension-presentation-mode-git), activate it from gnome-tweak-tool. This will give you a "Presentation Mode" switch on the battery icon, who once activated, will turn off the blankening, and screen lock functions. I hope it will help you. (Sorry for my english, i'm a spanish-speaker)

Thanks a lot man! This solved the issue and did so very good as well, since I can keep all blankening settings to those i prefer and simply use it when I wish to.

Thread marked as solved.

#4 2011-10-21 21:19:15

kotnik

Sorry to barge into already solved thread, but how do you get battery icon on a desktop computer? I installed presentation-mode extension and it does nothing.

It's all GNU to me.

#5 2012-02-06 18:37:23

milhouse

valentinmauro wrote:

Yeeaaa mann!! It worked!

Don't forget to activate it in the gnome-tweak-tool!

__ __ __ __

Now i can watch > 1 hour videos on VLC!

#6 2012-02-06 18:40:07

Rasi
Website

kotnik wrote:

Sorry to barge into already solved thread, but how do you get battery icon on a desktop computer? I installed presentation-mode extension and it does nothing.

+1

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer