You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-18 04:23:20

wtflood

moving mouse causes capacitor whine

Whenever I move my mouse (logitech g3), I can hear a very faint high pitch buzz coming from the usb/motherboard area to which my mouse is connected. Changing usb ports just causes the sound to shift location with the usb port. I've tried a different mice (logitech m305 wireless) and experience the same problem. However, I do not have this problem in windows xp or debian.

Moving the mouse in tty doesn't cause any issues, so I guess it's related to my X config. I'm using evdev with the sample config found here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=4mPY35Mw

#2 2011-06-18 04:44:07

ewaller
Administrator

Re: moving mouse causes capacitor whine

Although some ceramic capacitors are sometimes the source of microphonics, they generally are not the source of airborne or structure borne noise.  It is much more likely to be an air core inductor -- assuming this really is the phenomena you are observing.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer