You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-18 20:07:58

Viper_Scull

intel gpu + nvidia gpu

I just bought an XPS laptop with a SB processor and a Nvidia GPU. BIOS does not have the option to select one or another as the primary card.
So as always I installed Arch. I installed the nvidia and nvidia-utils packages, but X wont start. No screen was found.

So i guessed the kernel was taking the intel gpu as the primary card. I uninstalled nvidia package and installed the intel drivers. It works now. But Gnome 3 does not run smoothly enough. I guess it's either because of mutter or intel drivers.

I've read about bumblebee, but i'm not sure if it's mature yet (anyone using it could share his experience?). So my question is:

Is there any way (udev rules, etc) to deactivate the intel GPU so i can use the NVidia GT 525m.

Cheers.

Last edited by Viper_Scull (2011-06-18 20:11:32)

Athlon II X4 620 + Gigabyte 785GPM-UD2H + 4GB DDR3 + SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB

Archlinux x86_64 + Openbox

#2 2011-06-19 22:25:05

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: intel gpu + nvidia gpu

You may want to read about how optimus works: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … ia_Optimus. It's possible to turn off the discrete GPU (maybe not yet on linux), but the discrete card writes to the integrated one, not the screen.

Since the discrete GPU is still on and using power, you might as well try out bumblebee.

Last edited by thestinger (2011-06-19 22:25:23)

#3 2011-06-20 11:50:15

Viper_Scull

I see. Thanks, then i'm gonna give bumbleblee a try, and if doesnt work i'll turn off the discrete card.

-1 to Nvidia for the total lack of support of Optimus in Linux.

Last edited by Viper_Scull (2011-06-20 11:50:55)

Athlon II X4 620 + Gigabyte 785GPM-UD2H + 4GB DDR3 + SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB

Archlinux x86_64 + Openbox

#4 2011-06-21 02:46:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Viper_Scull wrote:

I see. Thanks, then i'm gonna give bumbleblee a try, and if doesnt work i'll turn off the discrete card.

-1 to Nvidia for the total lack of support of Optimus in Linux.

That's been expressed a thousand times over at nvnews. Fact of the matter is that nvidia is tied by the way they've implemented their driver, which was constrained both by the quality of X at the time they first developed the driver and the requirements for secrecy they either self-impose or have imposed on them by patents.

Bumblebee is really cool, am looking forward to it's progress.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer