You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-19 15:36:38

Unia
Website

[Solved] No sleep button for acpid

First off, sorry for the flow of questions I have been posting here lately. Hopefully this will be my last for now!

I'm trying to get my power and sleep buttons to work with acpid. I got the power button working already, but my sleep button isn't recognised. On my laptop, this button is Fn+F4 and is labeled as XF86Sleep.

Here is the relevant section of /etc/acpi/handler.sh:

button/sleep)
        case "$2" in
            SLPB|SBTN)  pm-suspend ;;
            *)      logger "ACPI action undefined: $2" ;;
        esac
        ;;

Nor SLPB, nor SBTN works and when I place XF86Sleep in there, it doesn't work either. Can I somehow get my sleep button to get recognised? I read something about xmodmap, but I don't know if this will work for what I want to accomplish. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Unia (2011-06-20 21:37:49)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2011-06-19 15:44:52

Lone_Wolf

Re: [Solved] No sleep button for acpid

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2011-06-19 15:52:44

Unia
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Oh come on, don't you think I tried that already? It are those commands that don't list a thing when I press my sleep button!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#4 2011-06-19 15:56:34

Lone_Wolf

Unia wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

Oh come on, don't you think I tried that already? It are those commands that don't list a thing when I press my sleep button!

Please state you have followed the wiki next time, because if i had known that, it would have saved both of us time.

You probably need special software for your laptop to make the sleep and other special keys work.

What brand and model is your laptop ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2011-06-19 16:05:40

Unia
Website

Ok fair enough, excuse me then smile

I have an Acer Aspire 5740G, is there anything else you need to know?

#6 2011-06-19 16:29:49

Lone_Wolf

I have found a workaround that works with bios version 1.22 :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580695

There is however a later bios version for your laptop, 1.28 dated 2011/04/12 .

Acpi-related problems are very often bios related, and version 1.28 might solve the problems.
Bios updates have a (very small) chance of going wrong, so you could try the workaround the ubuntu user found first .

#7 2011-06-20 17:10:32

Unia
Website

Adding that to the kernel line didn't work, sadly. How would I do this bios update, and how big is the risk of it going wrong?

Are there any alternatives?

#8 2011-06-20 18:02:32

Lone_Wolf

while some users had succes with adding    acpi_osi=     others needed to use  acpi_osi=”Linux” .
You can try that also.

The biggest risk of a bios update is that if the laptop looses all power during the update, it will no longer start.
Repairing it is possible, but requires special equipment that is usually only available for acer tech support people (and the repair isn't cheap).

Having said that a bios update takes less then 10 minutes, so if the laptop is connected to a netpower and has a full batttery, the risk is very small.
I have done many bios updates , both on laptops and desktops and have not had this problem.

the file you need to download is :

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles … er&SC=PA_6

The file has a windows executable, and 1 that is intended for dos.
If you don't have windows installed on the laptop, you'll need to make a bootable dos cd or usb stick, this can be tricky.

Alternative :
Do without the sleep button (and other special keys) functionality and hope that the kernel will someday support it out-of-the-box

#9 2011-06-20 21:37:32

Unia
Website

I'll live without it then. Thanks anyway!

EDIT: Found a little work around that I thought might be interesting for others in the same situation. I use Compiz, which has its own keyboard shortcuts. I set one of them to use XF86Sleep as the shortcut and the command to suspend. All is working fine now!

Last edited by Unia (2011-06-22 16:32:41)

Board footer