You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-04 10:48:02

azucaro

More KDE problems

Hey all -

I am new to this forum and new to Arch, but not new to Linux. I am still having some problems getting KDE menus to register even after reading the Wiki and spending a large amount of time on the forum yesterday. What I can't seem to find is a clear documented case where KDE has worked straight from install. Any help here? I have tried (in this order):

-installing base packages, installing xfce, pacman -Syu, then installing kde. Looked for xfce.sh to change its XDG DIRs but that file did not exist. I guess this was because of the newer xfce packages in the repos.

-installing base packages, pacman -Syu, installing kde. This time even with no xfce it didn't work.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Please note that I do not yet understand the role of qt with respect to menu generation (as I have read that qt may be causing the problem), and I didn't know where to place the patch for qt that I found. Help on that is also welcome.

My apologies if this has been answered already (because I haven't found the answer yet).

Thanks!

df -h /my/head

#2 2005-05-04 11:08:13

IceRAM
Website

Re: More KDE problems

azucaro wrote:

-installing base packages, pacman -Syu, installing kde. This time even with no xfce it didn't work.

I did this few weeks ago (without even bothering looking at the KDE upgrade wikipage) and it worked out of the box. There might be something else buggy there... I admit I had no settings saved from my previous installation (the old almost dead HDD). It might work by removing ~/.kde (maybe rename it first then test). Make sure you backup your e-mails, korganizer files and whatever you have stored there before removing the ~/.kde dir.

#3 2005-05-04 11:51:44

azucaro

I did this on a clean installation though - anything that could throw it off there?

Note that I'm back to XFCE4 for the time being... :?

df -h /my/head

#4 2005-05-05 12:54:05

azucaro

Did another clean install and it worked this time. Go figure.

df -h /my/head

Board footer