You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-22 13:08:59

ryanklee

[SOLVED] awesome wm, strange fonts

Using Awesome WM, I'm using montecarlo fonts and once in a while some strange characters pop up. Just wondering how to correct this.

See in the cropped image the highlighted song title in ncmpcpp and also up top on the right.

A6Gbe.jpg

Last edited by ryanklee (2011-06-28 16:36:44)

#2 2011-06-22 15:06:17

Guff
Website

Re: [SOLVED] awesome wm, strange fonts

Do you only see this with ncmcpp? What is the title supposed to be?

#3 2011-06-22 15:22:10

ryanklee

No, I see it elsewhere in the task lists, for example. Never in, say, firefox, though. The character is supposed to be the "heart" or "love" symbol as seen here on track four: https://www.anticon.com/item.php?code=abr0105

I suppose it's possible that montecarlo simply doesn't have that character.

#4 2011-06-22 15:45:15

Guff
Website

ryanklee wrote:

No, I see it elsewhere in the task lists, for example. Never in, say, firefox, though. The character is supposed to be the "heart" or "love" symbol as seen here on track four: https://www.anticon.com/item.php?code=abr0105

Well, sounds like just an encoding issue to me. Nothing specific to awesome. I'm not sure how to fix it, short of changing that song's title, though.

If montecarlo lacked that character, you'd get a placeholder rather than the mess you got.

#5 2011-06-22 16:01:31

ryanklee

Guff wrote:
ryanklee wrote:

Well, sounds like just an encoding issue to me. Nothing specific to awesome. I'm not sure how to fix it, short of changing that song's title, though.

If montecarlo lacked that character, you'd get a placeholder rather than the mess you got.

Interesting. For clarity's sake I should point out that it's not just that song's title. I experience the same issue elsewhere, but I only started noticing it very recently, as I've been using Awesome for less than two days.

I'll try to track the behavior more closely, see if I can get a coherent fix on it. It's rather unsightly, though and I'd like to figure it out. It niggles.

#6 2011-06-28 16:34:23

ryanklee

Problem solved by changing the line in /etc/rc.conf

LOCALE="en_US" 

to

LOCALE="en_US.utf8" 

Board footer