You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-22 23:18:44

Who'sThere?

[Solved] How to disable time?

Hello.

Could someone give me the short version on how to completely disable time modification in Arch?

I only want it to read the time from hardware. I don't want it to modify, or touch, the time in any way.

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-07-29 22:40:39)

Arch Linux: x86_64, Default Kernel.
Repos: Core, Extra, Community, Multilib.

#2 2011-06-23 01:26:42

LeafStorm
Website

Re: [Solved] How to disable time?

You do so by setting the HARDWARECLOCK rc.conf setting to anything besides "UTC" or "localtime", like "neither" or "don't mess with it". This may have disappeared from recent rc.conf files, but the one on the wiki has:

# HARDWARECLOCK: set to "UTC" or "localtime", any other value will result
#   in the hardware clock being left untouched (useful for virtualization)
#   Note: Using "localtime" is discouraged.

Thanks,
Matthew Frazier

#3 2011-06-23 12:53:23

stqn
Website

I think removing the hwclock daemon should also do it. (The hwclock daemon _does_ read and set the hardware clock, but I don't know if something else thouches it.)

Edit: this will prevent saving and reading from the hwclock. If you still want to read from it, you'll have to run "hwclock  --hctosys" in rc.local. See /etc/rc.d/hwclock and hwclock man page for details.

Last edited by stqn (2011-06-23 12:58:07)

#4 2011-06-29 18:52:23

Who'sThere?

Changing the setting to 'any other value', or setting it to localtime, didn't work for me.

My BIOS time is still getting f**ked up, and the time is displaying incorrectly with 'localtime' on in my dual boot OSes -> Vista x64, Arch Linux x86_64.

Is there any way I can just set them up to read the PC's BIOS time, but not modify it while displaying that time? Changing the value to "off", or "don't mess with it", stopped the Windows time from getting messed up again. But..., Arch was unable to keep the correct time that I manually entered using the 'date' command.

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-06-29 18:53:29)

#5 2011-06-29 19:04:01

karol
Archivist

So it's about getting the correct time in both Windows and Arch Linux?
You can set both your Windows and AL clocks to UTC and using the correct timezone should get you the correct date & time.
Can you please post how exactly did you set your clock in Arch? Post the output of 'date' and 'hwclock --debug'.

Last edited by karol (2011-06-29 19:04:54)

#6 2011-06-30 03:28:53

Who'sThere?

karol wrote:

So it's about getting the correct time in both Windows and Arch Linux?
You can set both your Windows and AL clocks to UTC and using the correct timezone should get you the correct date & time.
Can you please post how exactly did you set your clock in Arch? Post the output of 'date' and 'hwclock --debug'.

Ugh...

I even just tried disabling the hwclock daemon, using the ! variable in the rc.conf. I don't see any practice purpose for your regular user to use UTC time. Is there some simple way I can sync the Arch Linux time automatically when I connect to the web?

I'd prefer it did it just once per session, and didn't require a daemon for a run-once-a-login need.

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-06-30 03:35:57)

#7 2011-06-30 03:36:51

ewaller
Administrator

Did you set your timezone?

I don't see any practicle purpuse for your regular user to use UTC time.

They don't have to hmm  The idea is that everything os referenced to UTC, and a correction is applied whenever the time is seen (by default) by the user.  This way, if you change time zones, or change to/from daylight savings, the file times are displayed correctly in local time, but still functions as expected when determining relative ages of files.

can you post the output of:
hwclock
and of
date

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2011-07-03 03:16:54

Who'sThere?

I found a solution, but don't ask me why it worked.

When I had either the time option set to 'localtime', or the daemon disabled by a preceding '!', my time would still get modified.

I had to disable both the daemon, and set the option to 'localtime' (changing it to a custom string didn't work). I now I have the desired effect, and I've been letting Windows handle the system time successfully.

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-07-29 22:40:20)

Board footer