You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-23 00:52:38

coacharnold

Ubuntu to Arch help

Hello,

I'm a long time user of ubuntu and am looking to get into  more the nuts and bolts of my installation. I need some advice.   I've been playing around with Arch for a few days and can't sort out how to deal with pre existing partitions, here's my scenario:

I have an ubuntu box with several drives that serve media across my house.  I want to keep my samba settings and system directories entact on a new arch install. so that my xbmc/xbox on the other side of the house will not have it's data base messed up. What I'd really like to do is to back up all my config files and /etc folder and drop it all right into arch.

good news is I'm getting a new drive in the mail anyday now so I'll be able to keep a running system on it while i fiddle with arch on a new drive.

any thoughts??

Tim

#2 2011-06-23 02:15:19

sand_man

Re: Ubuntu to Arch help

You wont be able to just drop your entire /etc from Ubuntu to Arch. Sure you can copy over specific config files such as smb.conf as long as there are no changes in the configs between versions.
This is a very manual process and I wouldn't even bother trying. But that's just me.

neutral

#3 2011-06-23 02:21:51

admiralspark

yep, if your media server works just fine, keep it like it is. Stability=priceless when data transfer between OS's is involved.
But if you're adamant about using arch, read the Archwiki articles on SAMBA and networking, since you'll need to know a bit about both to set up arch like your Ubuntu install was done. Make sure there's no change in smb.conf or other configuration files between the old Ubuntu versions and the new Arch packages.

Team Ignition Kernel Developer
linux-ideapad developer/maintainer
Flame Kernel developer for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3
Want a cheap, reliable VPS with AWESOME customer service?

#4 2011-06-23 03:38:25

oboedad55

Stick to the last idea, throw Arch on a new drive. As has been pointed out, your config files *may* work cross-OS, but not likely. Why mess up something that's working for you? Best of luck, I think you'll really enjoy working with Arch. Make sure to visit the wiki, it's the best I've seen.

Registered Linux user #436067

#5 2011-06-23 04:41:19

ANOKNUSA

oboedad55 wrote:

Stick to the last idea, throw Arch on a new drive. As has been pointed out, your config files *may* work cross-OS, but not likely. Why mess up something that's working for you? Best of luck, I think you'll really enjoy working with Arch. Make sure to visit the wiki, it's the best I've seen.

It's even less likely to work out when your transition is from Ubuntu (major update every six months) to Arch (major updates constantly).  If you're looking to switch to a drastically different system, you'll have to learn how to deal with it in a drastically different way.

Board footer