You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-24 23:43:42

theif519

After killing kdm, Xorg and other things do not work

Okay, so, I'm not on my regular computer right now, so I don't have much time to explain it. So, I was using my laptop while I was out because I'm using it mainly for media and storage *For media* so I use XBMC to watch movies, anime/cartoons, listen to music, etc. All without internet access may I add *So I can't upgrade with pacman or do anything network-related on the laptop to fix it... If it's required, I suppose I have to wait until Sunday Night when I get back* and XBMC crashed on me. I suppose what I should have done hit ctrl + alt + backspace but I learned that AFTER everything broke, so instead, what do I do? Like an idiot, I use the "killall kdm" command and end up breaking something. It normally restarts kdm after killing it, but not this time. I decided to reboot after nothing happened. While it was booting up, it had quite a bit of things that failed. For one, the SSH daemon I set up earlier today said it failed. Another thing, Syslog also failed, and so did networking daemon as well. Is there a way to see the verbose *I hope I'm using the correct term* again? Like, is there a log in /var ? If so, I'd be able to post more info here.

Also, can someone told me what broke, why, and how I can prevent it from happening again?

Windows 2000 -> Windows XP -> Windows Vista -> Windows 7 -> Ubuntu 10.10 -> Ubuntu 11.04 -> Fedora 14 -> Fedora 15 -> Fedora 14 -> Arch Linux... Just keeps getting better and better. *Eventually moving on to Gentoo and Slackware, but for now enjoying Arch Linux*

#2 2011-06-25 00:09:02

spctrl

Re: After killing kdm, Xorg and other things do not work

Maybe you have some run-locks/pidfiles in /var/run? otherwise check /var/log/kdm.log or /var/log/Xorg.log

#3 2011-06-26 18:40:56

theif519

spctrl wrote:

Maybe you have some run-locks/pidfiles in /var/run? otherwise check /var/log/kdm.log or /var/log/Xorg.log

What exactly am I looking for?

Windows 2000 -> Windows XP -> Windows Vista -> Windows 7 -> Ubuntu 10.10 -> Ubuntu 11.04 -> Fedora 14 -> Fedora 15 -> Fedora 14 -> Arch Linux... Just keeps getting better and better. *Eventually moving on to Gentoo and Slackware, but for now enjoying Arch Linux*

#4 2011-06-26 19:10:40

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Since you're getting errors when booting up, it might be a good idea to look in /var/log/kernel.log and /var/log/messages.log first. Just scan for obvious errors. If you are in doubt, you can pastebin them for others to look through.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2011-06-27 03:57:13

theif519

litemotiv wrote:

Since you're getting errors when booting up, it might be a good idea to look in /var/log/kernel.log and /var/log/messages.log first. Just scan for obvious errors. If you are in doubt, you can pastebin them for others to look through.

It's possible I guess... If I can find a way to cat the entire var/log to a text file and then mv it to a flash drive, it could work, but I'm not sure how to do that strictly from the command line. I have no wifi-access at all from my laptop.

#6 2011-06-27 04:05:05

theif519

Okay, how do I list all of the available drives? I jacked in the USB, and it made the flashing light notifying that it's in, so where is the device located? I checked /media and /mnt but nothing

#7 2011-06-27 08:04:35

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

As soon as you plug in the drive:

dmesg | tail

Then use the reported drive, as root (where X is probably b or c):

mount /dev/sdX1/ /mnt
cp /var/log/kernel.log /mnt
cp /var/log/messages.log /mnt
umount /mnt

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ