You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-25 07:45:52

shervinkh

problem with nvidia gt550m driver on asus N53SN

Hi,

On My PC I can insall And Use My Nvidia Card very easily And quickly.

But yesterday i bought an asus laptop N53SN
core i7 2630 sandy bridge withan integrated intl graphic card and a Nvidia gt 550 m graphic card.

when arch boots up Laptop Shows Using Of nvidia Card.

when i use nouveau opensource driver during the Xorg configuration i get this error:

number of created displays doesnot match number of deytected devices

and when i intall  And Configure nvidia propriatary Driver,After Starting GDM , Ican Hear Sounds But Screen is Black

and now i installed intel driver.so laptop works good.(but laptop shows using of nvidia graphic)

please help me!

I want To Use Nvidia propriatary Driver.

And Finally, Sorry For My English!

#2 2011-06-25 17:37:44

insane_alien

Re: problem with nvidia gt550m driver on asus N53SN

Sounds like you laptop uses nvida 'optimus' just like mine.

basically, the display is only linked up to the integrated graphics chip in your laptop and when optimus works normally the high end graphics card does all the rendering magic and then pumps the completed image over to the integrated chip to display it.

nvidia have chosen not to support optimus on linux as of yet and they say they have no plans to. there is open source work to support it in development but its not quite ready yet and technically it's a kludge. to get true support you basically need to rewrite the xserver.

hopefully support will appear soon as pretty much every laptop with a nvidia card has this these days.

#3 2011-06-25 17:53:15

Gusar

Re: problem with nvidia gt550m driver on asus N53SN

There's Bumblebee for now: https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee

A proper solution is... not easy. Though I don't think it's as much an X problem as it is that it requires cooperation between intel and nvidia drivers. Which isn't easy because one driver is open and the other is closed. The solution from the X guys (called PRIME, for obvious reasons smile) will only work with the nouveau driver.

Board footer