You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-25 09:27:09

myrlin

Disabling Bluetooth/Webcam on EeePC 901 at Boot Time

I am using Arch/LXDE on my EeePC 901, and I have installed the acpi-eeepc-generic package from AUR to get hot-key functionality.

Since I rarely use them, I would like to have the default start-up settings as bluetooth/camera disabled, but cannot work out how to do it.

I have tried disabling them from the BIOS, but something in acpi-eeepc-generic seems to overwrite these settings. Commenting out the "BLUETOOTH_DRIVERS" and "CAMERA_DRIVERS" in acpi-eeepc-generic.conf seems to stop this happening for Bluetooth, but the camera setting is still overwritten to "enabled" and continues to be switched on. If I disable loading of the eeepc_laptop module, the BIOS settings remain unchanged.

I have also tried putting the command line disabling code

echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/camera

into various autostart folders, but also without success. It works once, then re-enables on subsequent boots.

I would be very grateful if anyone has any advice.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2011-06-25 09:39:51

Dala

Re: Disabling Bluetooth/Webcam on EeePC 901 at Boot Time

Have you tried blacklisting the module loading the camera?

#3 2011-06-27 00:46:40

Ilya

How about /etc/rc.local? Your commands will run at every boot.

#4 2011-06-27 10:40:47

myrlin

Blacklisting "uvcvideo" certainly works to disable the webcam.

Something is still overriding the BIOS enable/disable setting to enable it at every boot. I suspect acpi-eeepc-generic. This is not a problem though, unless leaving it enabled increases power consumption.

I did try putting the code above into rc.local, but it worked first time, but not on susequent boots. Curious!

Many thanks for your help and advice Dala and Ilya

Board footer