You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-05 02:04:56

Euphoric Nightmare

Pacman not working as expected

Okay, when i try to portage --sync <package>, it gives me an error message saying that it could not open sync database:  extra, and asks me if i have used --refresh yet.  If i comment out the [extra] part of /etc/pacman.conf it works as expected.

however, when i try to get gnome, it doesn't find the package name, and obviously can't install the packages.  I think its because the gnome builds are extra.  Another thing to note here is that i don't have internet. 

I can try pacman --sync --refresh.  and it gives me the same error message again:  could not open sync database:  extra.  If i look at my program output on the monitor it appears that it is trying to pull extra.db.tar.gz from the mirrors, and my custom servers (which is a cd and some .bz2's that i copied to the hard drive). 

How can i get pacman to try to install these packages via:
pacman -S gnome

#2 2005-05-05 02:27:33

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Pacman not working as expected

likely one of the mirrors in the /etc/pacman.d/extra list is not working.
Change the order of the one on top.

and  you need to run pacman as root for installation and update operations, if you are not currently doing so. Query operations are ok to run as a user.

There are also a couple package groups. pacman -Sg will list them. To install a group just pacman -S groupname.

You should run a sync-update operation too if you are having problems. pacman -Syu (as root).

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-05-05 03:21:31

Euphoric Nightmare

how can i find that extra.db.gz?

#4 2005-05-05 03:23:08

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-05-05 03:37:58

Euphoric Nightmare

sweet...thanks

#6 2005-05-05 04:19:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

you don't need to download the extra.db.tar.gz file by hand - pacman will do it.  Most likely, as cactus said, the mirrors are goofed....
try this script: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=9652
to resort the mirrors

then try a "pacman -Sy" again (-Sy is shorthand for --sync --refresh)

Board footer