You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-30 18:27:53

wilberfan

"Invalid ELF header" on Nautilus, Chrome, Firefox (libgcc_s.so.1)?

Did an upgrade the other day, and now I'm getting Invalid ELF header" errors when I try and start Nautilus, Chrome, Firefox, etc...  More specifically:

error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: invalid ELF header

Can anyone point me towards a remedy?

Hey, be nice...I'm new at this!

#2 2011-06-30 18:30:42

yasar11732

Re: "Invalid ELF header" on Nautilus, Chrome, Firefox (libgcc_s.so.1)?

Which gcc-libs version are you using?

Yo Dawg, I heard you likes patches, so I have created a patch for your patch, so you can patch your patches before you patch.

#3 2011-06-30 18:38:00

wilberfan

Sorry.  gcc-libs 4.6.1-1 ...

[edit]  Interesting: It only seems to be affecting my old Dell Inspiron 1100.  My newer Intel desktop is not having this problem...despite running the same version of gcc-libs...

[Does this belong in the LAPTOP section?]

Last edited by wilberfan (2011-07-01 02:54:09)

#4 2011-07-01 02:45:51

wilberfan

So, what's the secret to downgrading gcc-libs?  It won't let me downgrade gcc-libs because gcc depends on it--and vice versa.  Is there a way to downgrade BOTH of them at the same time?

[EDIT] Never mind.  I just figured out the -Ud pacman option....  Got gcc and gcc-libs downgraded to 4.6.0-7 and my browsers and file managers work again....

It would be nice to know that the problem with the newer version is, though...

Last edited by wilberfan (2011-07-01 02:52:57)

#5 2011-07-01 02:57:27

ewaller
Administrator

wilberfan wrote:

error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: invalid ELF header

To me, that says you have the wrong architecture.  Are your systems both 32, or both 64 bit.  If they are mixed, did you copy things from one system to the other ?
This could be the packages in question, or it could be a pacman configuration file.

Anyway, if you've a 64 bit system, I think you are trying to run a 32 bit version of the programs; or vice-versa.

Edit: Never mind.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2011-07-01 09:06:36

Ramses de Norre

ewaller wrote:
wilberfan wrote:

To me, that says you have the wrong architecture.  Are your systems both 32, or both 64 bit.  If they are mixed, did you copy things from one system to the other ?
This could be the packages in question, or it could be a pacman configuration file.

Anyway, if you've a 64 bit system, I think you are trying to run a 32 bit version of the programs; or vice-versa.

Edit: Never mind.

With newer versions of pacman, you have to explicitly specify an --arch flag to be able to install pkgs with another architecture. It would thus be very bizarre to do this unknowingly.
But it was the first thing that came to my mind as well smile

#7 2011-07-01 16:51:59

wilberfan

With newer versions of pacman, you have to explicitly specify an --arch flag to be able to install pkgs with another architecture. It would thus be very bizarre to do this unknowingly.  But it was the first thing that came to my mind as well smile

I have 3 systems running arch--2 desktops and a laptop.  They're all 32-bit, and I update them all the same way.  Why would only the laptop get confused about which architecture to use?    I'm certainly willing to try your suggestion, don't get me wrong, I just don't understand why only the lappie would have this problem...

Board footer