You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-02 13:49:08

mc.suchecki

Issues with XArchiver and card reader

Hi Everyone!

After 3 years of using Debian I've just moved to Arch Linux, and I just love it, but sadly I have some issues with XArchiver and my card reader, which were not present on my previous operating system. I believe that won't be a problem for you. ;-)

So, the card reader. I have completely no idea what's wrong, it's acting very weird. Firstly, when it's mounted automatically, I can't modify any of the files - it says 'Read-only filesystem'. I've tried to unmount it and mount the card manually by

mount /dev/sdb /media/lol

, but it made no change and I had to force R/W mode by adding '-w' in command. It solved the problem, but why it wasn't mounted in R/W mode automatically? Am I able to force my file manager to mount it automatically in R/W mode? Sadly, it's not the end, because even when I'm able to write on the card, files are copied wrongly. Some of them were uploaded correctly, but some of them was broken and my telephone (I'm using card reader to upload music to my phone) couldn't play them. When I uploaded them from Windows, everything was fine.

I'm using Arch64, 2.6.39 kernel, PCManFM, built-in card reader (it works on Windows). ntfs-3g is installed.

lsusb:

mc # lsusb | grep card
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader

XArchiver is also acting quite weird - when I try to compress dir for example in .zip file it says 'zip: error - nothing to do'. Compressing in .7z result in broken archive with strange filenames inside and inaccesible files. zip/unzip/p7zip is installed, reinstalling doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for my English!

#2 2011-07-02 20:24:39

MoonSwan

Re: Issues with XArchiver and card reader

Try hitting the wiki (in english or your preferred language) and look for "card-reader" and/or mounting and fstab.  That should help you set up the reader using your /etc/fstab file with all the correct arguments in place.  IE you should be able to put a line in /etc/fstab that will mount your card in read/write mode and be writeable as a user.

Your other option (if you want it to be auto-mounted) is to use a Udev rule.  On the wiki there is a page about Udev and 3 or 4 scripts you can use to set up all your external media to be auto-mounted when inserted into your computer's reader/usb port/whatever-port-you-have.  big_smile

Good luck and your English is fine. smile

Last edited by MoonSwan (2011-07-02 20:26:42)

#3 2011-07-05 12:48:28

silverzhao

Current xarchiver has problem opening .7z file, so I installed p7zip-gui, just to deal with .7z. You may have a try.

What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow.

#4 2011-07-06 16:30:07

mc.suchecki

Thank you very much for the replies! smile

@MoonSwan: Am I missing something, or fstab is used to mount drives *at boot*? In that case editing it couldn't help me, am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong. wink I wanted to auto-mount and headed to udev wiki, like you've said. I've created new rule like that and nothing changed. BTW - there wasn't any rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/ - then how is anything auto-mounted on my computer? Pendrives works just fine. Sorry for my incompetence.

@silverzhao: Thanks, I'm going to try this. But if anybody would know how to get XArchiver working properly, I will be pleased, beacuse I really like it. smile

Last edited by mc.suchecki (2011-07-06 16:35:17)

#5 2011-07-06 17:16:14

silverzhao

It's said there is a patch here, but I don't know how to apply this, maybe you can do something.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph … tid=745602

What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow.

Board footer