You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-03 01:27:00

Renton

Problem with partitions

I don't know why but I'm having some problems using the partitioner on Arch. cfdisk keeps giving me the fatal error "bad primary partition 2: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder." I don't know why it's complaining I loaded up Slackware and used cfdisk on it and it was okay with my partitions. When cfdisk failed I switched to another virtual console and used fdisk to mess with partitions, hoping that I could just move on to the step after setting up hard drives. fdisk said that everything was successful but when I went to select packages I was told that I need to set up hard drives first. I barely know anything about partitioning so I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2011-07-03 04:27:55

Mektub

Re: Problem with partitions

Renton,

Something must be wrong, the partitioning normally is straight forward.
However I suggest you use the Gpartd liveCD:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

and make a root and a swap partition (and, if you so feel, a /home one).

Then reinstall ARCH and tell it that the partitions already exist.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2011-07-03 06:58:35

dmillard

Or, take a shot at parted, perhaps.  Its on the livecd, and after stumbling through some documentation, helped me out after I ran into a similar error, quite a while ago.

Also, take a shot at the auto-prepared hard drive option.  Unless you need a specialized setup, it should work out just dandy.

"Cleverness is not wisdom." ~Euripides

#4 2011-07-05 18:10:58

bhayden
Website

My laptop had the same problem, but I used the fdisk (instead of cfdisk) command and was able to go about partitioning without issue.

Board footer