You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-04 12:03:59

Mektub

Partitions I don't use being automounted - Udisks ?

Several partitions on my disks are formatted but are (were) not in /etc/fstab since for the
moment I an not using them (they used to have a 32 bit ARCH version, I am using 64 bit now).

But I started noticing that some programs started showing them (thunar, adeskbar icon changer),
and if I willingly or unwilling clicked on them, they would be mounted under /media with their
labels as device name (/media/free_1, /media/free_2, ...).

This in itself doesn't break anything but it makes no sense to mount dormant partitions.

I suspected udisks, that I know little about, executed "udisks --inhibit-all-polling" to stop
it meddling with my fixed disks, to no avail.

After trial and error I now have the empty partitions in /etc/fstab, noauto, being mounted in
fake directories outside /media:  /free_1, ....

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can explain to me what this is all about.

I have ARCH 64, fully updated, don't use any desktop manager (only WM, icewm or pekwm), but do
use some programs from the Gnome suite.

My DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf is:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !dbus hal !network @net-profiles netfs @sensors @ntpd @sshd @crond)

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#2 2011-07-04 16:11:43

stqn
Website

Re: Partitions I don't use being automounted - Udisks ?

By design, Thunar will not show any partition that is in /etc/fstab (except /), but will show the other ones... I don't think udisks has anything to do with this (I don't know what udisks is, though.) So your solution looks ok to me.

Board footer