You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-04 17:57:35

budu

Problems with init 5 after upgrade.

Hi, I've got an three months old installation of ArchLinux in a VirtualBox machine and after upgrading with pacman, I can't get into init 5 anymore. I've followed all the instructions, updated the configuration files, etc. If I boot in init 3 and start x manually, it works well. The problem is strange, after entering init 5, when starting GDM, the screen flash between the graphical and the console mode, there's a warning (or error) message but I don't have time to read it and I'm not sure in which log file I could find it.

P.S.: I'm running xmonad over Gnome.

#2 2011-07-04 18:23:31

karol
Archivist

Re: Problems with init 5 after upgrade.

Try /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

#3 2011-07-04 18:29:36

budu

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file is empty, but the /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file contains some errors:

AIGLX error: vboxvideo does not export required DRI extension

and

VirtualBox USB Tablet: failed to initialize for relative axes.

Also running `sudo /usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon` work well after booting in init 3. Afterward, the /var/log/Xorg.0.log is not empty and contains the same errors as above.

#4 2011-07-04 18:41:42

budu

I've finally fixed it, but I'm not sure how! Here's what I've done:

* Edited rc.conf to remove dbus from the DAEMONS list
  * rebooted, now GDM evidently wouldn't start, but at least I was able to log into the console
  * Put back dbus in the DAEMONS list, at the exact same place

And now it works! That was really strange, now I just have to remember how to get GDM to work nicely with xmonad, I've done last week on another machine, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Board footer