You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-06 05:27:30

cobaltwolfe

wireless issue

alright so another go then apparently it took too long and booted me before i hit submit so here we go again.

the issue that i am having is that even though the wireless in the laptop is recognized and supposedly working i cannot connect to my network.
the network uses wpa2 encryption.
when entering the command "lspci | grep -i net" i get the following

02:00.0 ethernet controller: intel corporation 82573L gigabit ethernet controller
03:00.0 network controller: intel corporation PRO/wireless 3945abg [Golan] network connection (rev02)

soi this tells me that it is being recognized as there.

then entering "iwconfig wlan0" i get the following

wlan0
ieee 802.1abg         ESSID "zevin" <--should be Zevin&Eddy
mode: managed       access point: not-associated        tx-power=15 dBm
retry long limit:7    RTS thr:off     Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Manangement:off

which leads me to believe that its attempting to connect or that my controller is at least working.

then while looking at the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file it appears as such

network={
ssid="Zevin&eddy"  this is after changing it from just the word Zevin because it didn't allow the command "wpa_passphrase "zevin&Eddy" "my actual passphrase" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to accept the ssid of Zevin&Eddy and claimed that Eddy was an unknown command.
psk="my actual passphrase"
psk= 45 assorted numbers and letters"
}

is this how that is suppose to look?

then when scanning for my wireless signal using "iwlist wlan0 scan" my network will appear.

i am out of ideas and i do know that alot of people here prefer the DIY approach but i've tried searching for why it will not work and have had no luck so far.

#2 2011-07-06 05:42:55

cobaltwolfe

Re: wireless issue

Ido apologize. everything else has installed and the system is ready to go but without i am unable to continue forward and update everything using pacman and also to download the WM i use. this is just frustrating because even following the beginners guide and having printed 70 something pages between the guide and the wireless setup pages from the wiki and still no dice. i've also tried searching the forums and though similar postings and attempting the suggestions found within just out of ideas.

#3 2011-07-06 06:02:13

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

cobaltwolfe wrote:

because it didn't allow the command "wpa_passphrase "zevin&Eddy" "my actual passphrase"

It's choking on the ampersand. You can either change the ESSID, or try escaping it.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2011-07-06 06:08:19

cobaltwolfe

jasonwryan wrote:
cobaltwolfe wrote:

because it didn't allow the command "wpa_passphrase "zevin&Eddy" "my actual passphrase"

It's choking on the ampersand. You can either change the ESSID, or try escaping it.

I'll ask about then possibly changing the ESSID to something that it will allow. on another note if they are not willing to change the ESSID how would i go about escaping it? don't have access to the router through wired unless i order a 50ft (at the very least) cat5 cable... will discuss it with them and see what is said.

ty for the information. its what i thought was happening but needed a second opinion as i'm really rather new to all of this. (installing through command line for the operating system).. other than this issue everything else when fine. beginners guide for installing this was helpful at times when i was going wtf do i do now but for the most part its pretty self explanatory...

Last edited by cobaltwolfe (2011-07-06 06:11:03)

#5 2011-07-06 14:05:14

stqn
Website

Escaping usually means addind a backslash in front of it: "Zevin\&Eddy". BTW I'm not sure about it but you should pay attention to the case (sometimes you write "zevin", sometimes "Zevin", but it's not the same.)

#6 2011-07-06 16:58:50

cobaltwolfe

stqn wrote:

Escaping usually means addind a backslash in front of it: "Zevin\&Eddy". BTW I'm not sure about it but you should pay attention to the case (sometimes you write "zevin", sometimes "Zevin", but it's not the same.)

its supposed to be Zevin&Eddy i sometimes forget to capitalize things when typing online. well today tried going to the public library to get this working and still no luck. don't know why been following the wireless setup and also the beginners guide. it ends up looking as follows when typing iwconfig wlan0

wlan0
ieee80211abg
essid:Nashua_public_library
mode: Ad-Hoc (its what it came up as when scanning so set the broadcast to that as well)
and then everything from the other one is the same no encryption, power management is off, rety long limit is 7, rts thr is off, and fragment thr is off as well. this is rather baffleing. it shows that its associated with the controller in my laptop and yet when i go to request a IP address it always times out on me.  read to set the channel to auto using "iwconfig wlan0 channel auto" (after shutting down the wireless card using "ip link set wlan0 down" and still nothing. the is on solid but nothing works for internet. pinging just comes back as unknown host. been following the beginners guide pretty explicitly and just nothing on the internet.

#7 2011-07-06 17:06:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps you haven't entered your host name in /etc/hosts..........................

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#8 2011-07-06 17:18:22

cobaltwolfe

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps you haven't entered your host name in /etc/hosts..........................

the host name is as far as i know been entered unless i missed a spot.

within the /etc/rc.conf file its written as cobaltwolfe

and the /etc/hosts file appears as follows

#
#static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>      <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain          localhost cobaltwolfe

# End of file.

and i suppose to change something else? it said to make the changes in these two files.
may have found it! was jsut reading and think i need to change one of the settings to allow incoming connections

nvm was wrong didn't work lol

Last edited by cobaltwolfe (2011-07-06 17:21:17)

#9 2011-07-06 17:21:40

AnnS

Hey! But did you add a backslash in front of the & as stqn suggested?
Something like this happened to me because my passphrase included an $ and I didn't know about the backslash thing.

$ wpa_passphrase Zevin\&Eddy "yourpassword" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

It doesn't work just editing the config file directly, I guess because the 'psk' with the numbers and letters are generated according to your ESSID and password. Sorry, I don't know if I'm making myself clear!

Cheers!

Acer Aspire 7741G-6426 | Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz | 8GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz | 640GB HDD 5400RPM | AMD Radeon 6550M 1GB DDR3 |

Lenovo 3000 C200 | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz | 2GB RAM DDR2 667MHz | 250GB HDD 5400RPM | Intel GMA 950 |

#10 2011-07-06 17:23:06

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps wireless data needs attention in hosts...check the beginners guide..........

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#11 2011-07-06 17:29:25

cobaltwolfe

AnnS wrote:

Hey! But did you add a backslash in front of the & as stqn suggested?
Something like this happened to me because my passphrase included an $ and I didn't know about the backslash thing.

$ wpa_passphrase Zevin\&Eddy "yourpassword" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

It doesn't work just editing the config file directly, I guess because the 'psk' with the numbers and letters are generated according to your ESSID and password. Sorry, I don't know if I'm making myself clear!

Cheers!

I have yet to try that. i am currently at the public library which has no password and should be able to connect using

iwconfig wlan0 essid "Nashua_public_library"

which i have done and then after waiting a bit i type

iwconfig wlan0 to see if its associated and this is what appears

wlan0
IEEE 80211abg ESSID: "Nashua_public_library"
mode: Ad-Hoc    Frequency:2.412ghz   Cell:22:41:6A:85:A1:75
Tx Power=15dBm
retry long limit:7    RTS thr:off    Fragment thr:off
encryt key:off
Power Management:off

which is more than i was able to get at my own house but pinging to make sure everything is working still fails at unknown host. and updating fails with errors

Transient Resolver Failure

but kinda figuring that its because of the internet not connecting.

#12 2011-07-06 17:38:38

cobaltwolfe

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps wireless data needs attention in hosts...check the beginners guide..........

the only thing i am seeing in the hosts section of the beginnners guide that might have an impact is setting up the hosts.allow folder to allow all incoming connections using ssh: All, which according to the guide will allow all incoming connections. but already looked into this one and still nothing. i've been following the guide as best as is possible. firmware was installed and drivers are installed. everything i see tells me that the controller in the laptop is fully functional and working can scan shut it down and bring it back up. i'm just lost at this point. i've literally followed to guide word for word (except when attempting to connect to network with iwconfig wlan0 essid command.). i'm just stumped. i've gone through the wireless sections of the wiki i don't know how many times at this point and it states the same thing as the guide pretty much. its just bizzarre. i can see all the networks (library is perfect example because no encryption so should be good with iwconfig wlan0 essid as far as i know) around me but can't connect. just kinda odd to me.

#13 2011-07-06 17:44:29

cobaltwolfe

going to give this a shot at my own house at this point.

ty all for attempting to help.

#14 2011-07-06 17:47:32

stqn
Website

Did you type "ifconfig wlan0 up"? You might also need "dhcpcd wlan0"... Not sure though, I use wicd-gtk to connect.

#15 2011-07-06 17:50:15

lilsirecho
Veteran

It may be that you need the net-tools package to establish host in wireless.  Other posts today are concerned with that item.

It seems certain that the host is missing.

I would not change the essid since it works for other os.

Mentioned in the beginners guide is the need to re-enable wireless after boot into arch.

Perhaps with ........pacman -Q |less........ you can determine whether net-tools is installed, it will list all packages in alphabetical order.

#16 2011-07-06 18:10:34

cobaltwolfe

lilsirecho wrote:

It may be that you need the net-tools package to establish host in wireless.  Other posts today are concerned with that item.

It seems certain that the host is missing.

I would not change the essid since it works for other os.

Mentioned in the beginners guide is the need to re-enable wireless after boot into arch.

Perhaps with ........pacman -Q |less........ you can determine whether net-tools is installed, it will list all packages in alphabetical order.

net-tools is installed it comes up as

net-tools 1.60-14

i am currently back at my house, having left the library. after trying

$ wpa_passphrase "Zevin/&Eddy" "123456789" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

it accepted the ESSID without saying there are erros but at the same time the led is no blinking to indicate that there is connectivity. going to see what this network is set to and see if i need to change the mode of the wireless controller.
hopefully will owrk now.

msy have found out what is causing it. when looking more closely at the router information that appears when scanning it pops up that the mode is "Master"

when i attempt to set it to the same using
(this is after shutting off the wireless in laptop)

iwconfig wlan0 mode master
error for wireless request "set mode" (8b06)
set failed on device wlan0: invalid argument.

Last edited by cobaltwolfe (2011-07-06 18:15:53)

#17 2011-07-06 18:12:20

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps instead of net-tolls you need wireless_tools as described in wireless Install wiki.

This is catch22 because you need wireless_tools to enable wireless_tools to be installed.

I am not an expert with wireless, having just installed a wireless router last week using the browser to enable setup for the router (Asus).  It serves as a wireless access point for my daughters NOOK device and is setup in windowsxp.

As to archlinux wireless, I assume the wireless install wiki is the watchword.  Establishing the host may be your need.

I assume you have successfully booted into archlinux and your kernel is version 39.

In order to install archlinux you have a wireless FTP option or an install from eth0 dsl or install from USB flash.

Which did you use?

What does unanme-a display in terminal?

#18 2011-07-06 18:20:15

cobaltwolfe

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps instead of net-tolls you need wireless_tools as described in wireless Install wiki.

This is catch22 because you need wireless_tools to enable wireless_tools to be installed.

I am not an expert with wireless, having just installed a wireless router last week using the browser to enable setup for the router (Asus).  It serves as a wireless access point for my daughters NOOK device and is setup in windowsxp.

As to archlinux wireless, I assume the wireless install wiki is the watchword.  Establishing the host may be your need.

I assume you have successfully booted into archlinux and your kernel is version 39.

In order to install archlinux you have a wireless FTP option or an install from eth0 dsl or install from USB flash.

Which did you use?

What does unanme-a display in terminal?

i used a USB flash because i cannot access the router at the moment to run a cable to my laptop (still need to buy one)

when uname -a is entered the following apppears

Linux cobaltwolfe 2.6.33-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT thu may 13 12.06.25 CEST 2010 i686 genuine intel cpu t2400 @ 1.83ghz GNU/Linux

#19 2011-07-06 18:21:03

cobaltwolfe

forgot to mention i selected wireless_tools form the package menu when installing the packages.

#20 2011-07-06 18:29:16

lilsirecho
Veteran

uname -a ?

#21 2011-07-06 18:32:14

MoonSwan

The slash you want to escape the characters is the opposite to the one windows uses.  In windows you use "/" slashes.  In linux it's "\" the majority of the time.  ... just checked using a command prompt in win 7, they changed this silly OS so it accepts both for different reasons.  So i cannot seem to check if I'm right or not. tongue  It's going to be one of those days I think.

#22 2011-07-06 18:34:10

lilsirecho
Veteran

All days are like that!

#23 2011-07-06 18:34:20

cobaltwolfe

lilsirecho wrote:

uname -a ?

command not found is what it is telling me. uname -a is what brings allthat other stuff up.

#24 2011-07-06 18:38:08

lilsirecho
Veteran

The command is run by root:  Mine is shown below:

[root@n6re ~]# uname -a
Linux n6re 2.6.39-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 27 21:26:22 CEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
[root@n6re ~]#

#25 2011-07-06 18:41:05

cobaltwolfe

lilsirecho wrote:

The command is run by root:  Mine is shown below:

[root@n6re ~]# uname -a
Linux n6re 2.6.39-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 27 21:26:22 CEST 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
[root@n6re ~]#

when uname -a is entered the following apppears
Linux cobaltwolfe 2.6.33-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT thu may 13 12.06.25 CEST 2010 i686 genuine intel cpu t2400 @ 1.83ghz GNU/Linux

this is what mine looks like. currently typing on PS3 as i have nothing else to get online with lol.the one i had said was not found was the command

unanme-a

does not exist. i had posted the results of before then confused myself lol

Board footer