You are not logged in.

#26 2011-07-06 18:43:52

cobaltwolfe

Re: wireless issue

alright gotta head into work going to ask the tech there is he has any ideas. meanwhile i'll reread the guide and the wireless setup and everything.

#27 2011-07-06 18:51:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Ok.............The install was made from the usb flash device which is based on an old kernel.

I recommended that you use FTP install which would download the latest kernel (mine shown) and the latest wireless setup would function.

During the install procedure, wireless was addressed in detail in the beginners guide.

I am not sure what procedure you should follow  for wireless connect with the old kernel while not having access to the internet.

Perhaps other users can advise.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#28 2011-07-06 18:57:25

AnnS

Well, I see that instead of the backslash \, you used the regular slash /, so I think you should repeat that step. This are the steps I followed the first time I installed Arch in two different laptops; one with an Atheros card and the other with an Intel card (update: I just checked and is exactly the same model as yours). Also, I installed it from the CD, and the kernel was the same version but I could connect successfully running:

$ wpa_passphrase MyESSID "myPa\$sword" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
$ ip link set wlan0 up
$ wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
$ dhcpcd wlan0  [<--- to get an IP]

I don't think running "ip link set..." is necessary, as just with the next command (wpa_supplicant -B ...) the wifi led turns on.
I use WPA, not WPA-2, so I don't know if that's different, but I don't think so.

Last edited by AnnS (2011-07-06 19:09:33)

Acer Aspire 7741G-6426 | Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz | 8GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz | 640GB HDD 5400RPM | AMD Radeon 6550M 1GB DDR3 |

Lenovo 3000 C200 | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz | 2GB RAM DDR2 667MHz | 250GB HDD 5400RPM | Intel GMA 950 |

#29 2011-07-06 21:59:45

lilsirecho
Veteran

No, you need root's privileges to manage network devices. You can, however, create an alias in your shellrc if you don't want to type sudo every time.

This according to TOMK....

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#30 2011-07-07 00:53:59

cobaltwolfe

AnnS wrote:

Well, I see that instead of the backslash \, you used the regular slash /, so I think you should repeat that step. This are the steps I followed the first time I installed Arch in two different laptops; one with an Atheros card and the other with an Intel card (update: I just checked and is exactly the same model as yours). Also, I installed it from the CD, and the kernel was the same version but I could connect successfully running:

$ ip link set wlan0 up

I don't think running "ip link set..." is necessary, as just with the next command (wpa_supplicant -B ...) the wifi led turns on.
I use WPA, not WPA-2, so I don't know if that's different, but I don't think so.

i have tried the \ instead of the / and it still will not connect. however it did not boot it like it did before saying that Eddy was an unknown command. when i tried it again nothing. will give the settings a shot and see what happens. otherwise will go through the install again and attempt the netinstall. i got my roomates to allow me to get near the router (its in their bedroom) to have a wired connection (effing 6ft cable). got about three hours to work on this and hoping it does not take that long lol. also according to the guide in front of me the method shoudl work for both wpa and wpa2. so heres to hoping!!!

Last edited by cobaltwolfe (2011-07-07 00:55:13)

#31 2011-07-07 01:02:28

cobaltwolfe

wprking on getting a netinstall going! ran dhcp when asked and it said the network was successfully setup (this is using a wired connection) hopefully all will go well.

well it would appear that even the wired connection is not going to work. system keeps saying its up and going yet when i go to select packages it keeps giving me Transient Resovler failure.

Last edited by cobaltwolfe (2011-07-07 01:15:15)

#32 2011-07-07 01:27:17

cobaltwolfe

AnnS wrote:

$ ip link set wlan0 up

how exactly did you accomplish this? i've tried the options that you are using many times and still nothing appears. it states (after installing completely from USB that the firmware for the wireless is loaded. however now attempting to use a wired connection and its telling me that eth0 unknown interface device when typing ifconfig eth0 up. however when i try the other ways from the guide and get to the point of choosing the packages all i seem to get is the "Transient Resovler Failure" messages in tty7

#33 2011-07-07 01:57:57

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps you should inspect /etc/rc.conf for new details about eth0 install. (Perhaps you have done that already, however)

Also, the /etc/pacman.d mirrorlist.pacnew should be installed and mirrors selected.  This is installed by changing the existing mirrorlist to .old and changing pacnew to just mirrorlist(nano save  with changed name used for these steps).

Then /etc/resolve.conf needs the DNS server(s).

Try pinging the network in a terminal with ping yahoo.com.

#34 2011-07-07 02:01:47

cobaltwolfe

lilsirecho wrote:

Perhaps you should inspect /etc/rc.conf for new details about eth0 install. (Perhaps you have done that already, however)

Also, the /etc/pacman.d mirrorlist.pacnew should be installed and mirrors selected.  This is installed by changing the existing mirrorlist to .old and changing pacnew to just mirrorlist(nano save  with changed name used for these steps).

Then /etc/resolve.conf needs the DNS server(s).

Try pinging the network in a terminal with ping yahoo.com.

i've been trying the ping and so far have gotten just unknown host (using ping -c 3 www.google.com and google.com)

once i get back to the point i will check the rc.conf file. messed something up and yeah working on it all over again lol.

#35 2011-07-07 02:51:38

cobaltwolfe

still no idea why it occured in the first place. going to leave the computer a blank slate for the moment and look into things more. thank you everyone for the help. i will be back on when i know exactly what to do about both eth0 and wlan0. this is going to be something where i cannot be trying to wing it and hope everything works. this has however taught me alot i did not know within the command line itself and how to find out things and such

#36 2011-07-07 05:08:32

AnnS

I don't know why is not working for you. I really don't believe it's the wireless card or the kernel version (2.6.33), since I had the same kernel version when I installed Arch from the CD and the same card (Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG), and I have reinstalled many times in both laptops and never got problems with the wifi.

The only needed package I choose to install during the Arch installation, was the wireless_tools package, but I think you said you also installed it, so that's not it.

Maybe the problem is your ESSID? Also, do you have any special character in the password? Like me, for example, I have a dollar sign $ and had to put a backslash in front of it. It's important that you do everything right when doing the ["wpa_passprase ESSID "pass" > /etc...] command. Since just editing the configuration file (/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf) with the correct password and/or ESSID didn't work for me when I tried (before I knew you had to add a backslash to escape special characters).

Try to do everything again, adding a backslash in front of every special character if there are more. What I did to get the wireless working was exactly what I told you in my last post; the same steps in that order. Oh, and all as root. I didn't touch any config file, well I just disabled the Network daemon in rc.conf, but that's it and I don't think it's related.

About the Ethernet connection, I can't help you there, since I haven't tried in either of my laptops.
I wish I knew how to help you. I hope you can solve this!

Acer Aspire 7741G-6426 | Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz | 8GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz | 640GB HDD 5400RPM | AMD Radeon 6550M 1GB DDR3 |

Lenovo 3000 C200 | Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66GHz | 2GB RAM DDR2 667MHz | 250GB HDD 5400RPM | Intel GMA 950 |

#37 2011-07-08 18:09:54

lilsirecho
Veteran

When entering ESSID you must be root so...sudo........

#38 2011-07-08 20:40:45

MoonSwan

Dumb question but have you ever modprobe'd your Nic?  I'm curious because I don't recall seeing anything that said the correct modules are being loaded for both the wired and wifi interface.

#39 2011-07-09 02:12:27

lilsirecho
Veteran

Eth0 exists because he installed from eth0.  Wireless is another mode which he tried at the Library with obvious response from the wireless access point.

Board footer