You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-06 18:27:50

fossiili

Installing Arch untill: "Cannot Continue. Going back ..

The Linux Format June 2011 magazine has dvd with the installer of Arch Linux 2010.05. I wanted to try Arch, burned the installer to cd and proceeded.

But after so called configure_system I get the message:

Cannot Continue. Going back to configure_system
You must do 'Configure System' first before
going here!.

I used the vi-editor and did not understand everything but modified some of the configuration files a little. In that case I endid vi by "x". When only going through I used "q".

What stupid error did I mad

roll

#2 2011-07-06 18:35:03

MoonSwan

Re: Installing Arch untill: "Cannot Continue. Going back ..

Pick nano as your preferred editor perhaps.  It's a simpler editor and to use the shortcuts it shows at the bottom of the screen just use "ctrl-Key" ... for example, if you look at the bottom of the nano screen it shows that you can quit the document with "^x" which means hold down the "ctrl" key and hit the "x" key. 

Hopefully that will help you get on a bit more.  Follow the beginner's guide on the wiki too if you need help.

#3 2011-07-07 06:16:34

fossiili

Sometimes I have met Nano and used it. But I like vi a bit more and have used it a lot.

I still wonder how does the arch-installer (AIF?) check what I have done and what not.

Perhaps the installer in Linux Format DVD has something strange .... The best solution may be to download a new installer from Arch's mirror.

roll

#4 2011-07-07 07:29:48

Awebb

Just repeat the step. This sometimes happens when you are done with one step, press down and then enter. I usually assume that once I went back inside a menu structure that I'm exactly where I entered. The AIF automatically goes down one step. Just repeat the step (you files should be changed now) and it'll work.

But yes, there is a certain chance that the installer is broken on the CD. Who knows :-D

#5 2011-07-07 17:51:54

fossiili

Thank you. Unfortunately I must take part in the social life, go to Opera (Tosca) with my girlfriend etc.
I'll back with Arch after a week or so hmm

roll

Board footer