You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-14 20:59:26

williamkray

is there a gnome 3 WICD applet available?

i'm currently running gnome 3 with wicd as my internet interface... and it works great, i installed the wicd-gtk package so i had an easy to access icon in the notification bar (bottom right corner).  but i'm a little jealous of the more prominent network manager applet that shows up in the top right corner.  i tried switching back to network manager, but it just sucks.  is there any available modification to put the wicd notifier in the applet spot in gnome shell?  i think i remember hearing that gnome shell is written almost entirely in javascript or something else simple, so maybe it's a possibility?

#2 2011-08-24 12:58:04

EpocSquadron

Re: is there a gnome 3 WICD applet available?

I've been looking for the same thing ever since GNOME3 came out.  I actually found a few references where I was able to sort of hack my own solution. 

http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/04/gnome- … sions.html
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/05/more-g … ation.html

The above links boil down to simply creating a new GNOME 3 extension and filling the extension.js file with the following code:

const Panel = imports.ui.panel;
const StatusIconDispatcher = imports.ui.statusIconDispatcher;

function main() {
    StatusIconDispatcher.STANDARD_TRAY_ICON_IMPLEMENTATIONS['wicd-client.py'] = 'wicd-gtk';
}

I also like to change the default icon set to better match other GNOME 3 icons. I find these to be the best:

Faenza wicd Icon Set
Wicd icon for Ambiance Theme

I use the second, as I prefer the wave look to the sort of cellphone signal look. Just extract all the images, then copy them into /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd/, and the new icons should appear almost right away, better matching the GNOME3 theme. It's not quite nm-applet since clicking the icon brings up the classic wicd-gtk gui, but looks a lot better this way. 

Happy Hacking

[edit]
I forgot to mention that every time wicd-gtk is upgraded in pacman, you will have to recopy the images to /usr/share/pixmaps/wicd/.  I am not aware of a way to define wicd icons on a per user basis to get around this.

Last edited by EpocSquadron (2011-08-24 13:02:28)

#3 2011-08-24 13:10:01

wonder
Developer
Website

why does networkmanager suck?

Last edited by wonder (2011-08-24 13:11:50)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2011-08-24 13:23:52

EpocSquadron

wonder wrote:

why does networkmanager suck?

Let's not derail the subject please. williamkray's choice/preference is to use wicd, as it is for many. He asked how to make wicd integrate with GNOME 3 better, not if he should switch to another program.

#5 2011-11-14 13:48:32

shattrell

Hey I'm looking for the same thing! At the moment I'm happy with it sitting down in the notification area but it would  be nice as you say to have it up in pride of place!

As for WICD vs networkmanager.... hehe.

Board footer