You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-15 12:04:13

avx

[searching] a simple color (scheme) generator

I'm currently trying to create/find some nice colorschemes for various applications, but using gimp/inkscape to play with the colors is quite tedious, so I'm searching for a little application which makes it easier for me - maybe someone knows one or can easily create one.

Basically, it should work something like this:

a) open a window and define a background color, either by giving a specific #XXX or using some palette
b) let me create text and/or boxes
c) provide buttons/shortcuts to set values (+/- red, +/- blue, +/- green) and instantly update the text/box
d) have a field somewhere, which states what color currently is selected

That would already be enough, but I can't find such a thing sad

Maximum browniepoints, if one could assign colors to some kind of data structure(ie, this text represents a comment) and export it for various things(vim, awesome, xressources, ...).

Someone knows such an app?

#2 2011-07-15 16:07:48

stlarch

Re: [searching] a simple color (scheme) generator

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you could try gcolor2.

#3 2011-07-15 16:18:16

thisoldman

You should probably be searching for web-site design tools, like this one: http://www.digitdesigns.com/colrPick/framePic.htm

This site might also be helpful: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

#4 2011-07-16 01:02:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I think you are looking for this...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2011-07-16 09:26:30

avx

Thanks for all your suggestions, but none of them would really work out good for me.

gcolor2 somewhat goes in the direction I'd want it to be, but - maybe I didn't make this obvious enough - it lacks in a way, that it only lets me select two colors at a time. It's ie impossible to compare to shades of green against a defined background color at the same time, thus making it hard to decide, what looks better to me.

If I'd go the gimp way, I'd create a window and give it a background color, then I would create two (or more) boxes and fill them with different shades of the same color - but, in gimp, that's a whole lot of handling dialogs, apply, continue, ...

As for the online generators, they need some kind of deeper knowledge about colors, ie complements, which isn't what I'm after or they aren't better usable than ie gimp.

#6 2011-07-16 11:37:17

thisoldman

Now I have a better idea of what you would like.

I think you want something like this: http://www.colorcombos.com/combomaker.html.

I found gpick in the AUR, but I think it's too complex.  At least, it's too complex for my needs.

#7 2011-07-16 12:25:01

lolilolicon

I think jasonwryan's answer the best so far; you can also download all the page along with the CSS/JS, edit to your likings and use it locally.

Similarly, I used the jscolor script with a simple HTML to make a color scheme, using the onchange event. It looks like this. The code is ugly I won't let anyone else see it, but the idea works for me smile

Last edited by lolilolicon (2011-07-16 12:27:21)

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#8 2011-07-16 12:48:50

x33a
Forum Fellow

jasonwryan wrote:

I think you are looking for this...

Thanks for this.

#9 2011-07-17 11:15:10

avx

thisoldman wrote:

Now I have a better idea of what you would like.

I think you want something like this: http://www.colorcombos.com/combomaker.html.

I found gpick in the AUR, but I think it's too complex.  At least, it's too complex for my needs.

Thank you, No2 on that website is pretty nice, though I had to change the white background. gpick seems complex but interesting, I'll try that, too.

Board footer